Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Miniature atomizer, prop "smoke"

i agree with what jagahati said
    "If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Edit: Here is a funny observation... Revan, you even posted on that Zippo lighter thread. You seemed to think it was cool at the time. Just pointing that out...
    a laser powered lighter is a little different than something that can mess with your endorphins and get you addicted to it.... but i see your point. perhaps i was a bit rash, however i still do not like the idea of young kids getting the idea into their heads that smoking can be "safe" in any way. even if it's just a vaporizer and no actual smoke is inhaled, (plus i might add) no age limit has prevented everyone from obtaining a product that they were not able to obtain by themselves... it's just a small obstacle that others can get past easily.

and let me say again i still think the concept you presented is awesome!

i just can't help thinking about what else is going through ppl's heads when they see that advertisement...
    (PS. they DO have nicotine in them)
    edit: i checked again and there are cartridges that have NO nicotine in them so they can be safe so as of now i change my opinion (a little) great find!
    Last edited by Revan; 07-03-2009 at 11:07 PM.
    "The force alone is my ally, and it shall guide me to my destiny."

ive made vaporizers this small before. its not that hard. you can find the instructions if you can think of how and where to look for it. I wont post the link here because it is DEFINATELY inappropriate here

To clarify (As some who uses e-cigarettes and has done some research but is by no means a doctor) the vapor produced is propolyne glycol vapor, not water vapor. Still deemed harmless, but worthy to note. (This is much the same as stage fog... and is even being studied, in vapor form as a a way to reduce lung infections in children. I do not have any information as to that studies results.)

Also, E-cigarrettes are intended as an alternative to smoking, not as an emulation. They contain nicotine, propolyne glycol and a few other flavoring additives. None of which are carcinogenic (except a trace amount from the distilation of the nicotine from tobacco. Less than is in the patch, actually). Pretty good in comparison to the 4000 plus chemicals, a few dozen of which ARE carcinogens found in cigarettes. It's still not "good for you" but it is worlds better than "smoking". It gives you the nicotine fix (Not much worse for you medically than caffine) without the chemicals, tar, and stink of "real" cigarettes.

If someone can't (Or won't) quit nicotine they have the potential to save many lives. It certainly shouldn't be sold to or marketed to children. Or to people who don't already smoke, for that matter. (IMHO)

From a more practical aspect... you'd need an air pump of some kind, but they do produce plenty of vapor to be used as a prop smoke device. Maybe one of those micro-fans would be enough?

They vaporize the propolyne glycol, but without a "puff" to send it out of the tube it kind of floats there. The atomizer part, with a cartridge (which you could refill with just plain propolyne glycol.. common food/purfume additive, can order it at Walgreens Pharmacy) is about 1.5 inches long and 5/16" thick. They run off 3.7-5V usually.

As soon as I got one I started thinking about prop-worthy uses, LOL.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I agree with TR... Keep debates about smoking out of this thread. This is about the atomizer and using it in a blaster barrel.

Side note, but if any Council members don't like this thread, just make one about it in the council
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

True... will try to be more on-topic. I also tried to pass along on-topic info too, LOL.

Key points:

It's Propylene Glycol (Sorry about mispelling in above post.) vapor, not water vapor but is still considered to be a safe vapor/fog agent by those in the know.

It runs on 3.7-5V

It will need an air pump/fan of some kind. (maybe the guts of a fish tank air pump?)

Dimensions are about 5/16" x 1.5"... although really you would just need the atomizer and could load the wick into that and soak it with the Propolene Glycol... would cut it to 3/4 inch or so.

I actually ordered a kit to test these out, and honestly I am a bit disappointed in the potential for this brand's model to be used in prop effects. The heat generated by the atomizer is unreliable and the amount of "smoke" generated is pretty weak. I have found that the unit requires a bit of priming before it can create enough visible smoke, which simply can't be done in a blaster prop. Furthermore, the cartridges seem to need a bit of fiddling between puffs to continue producing smoke. I still think that ecig atomizers have potential, but I may have to test a few other brands before I find one that works for use in props. I do still have one of Erv's blaster boards sitting in the project box, so hopefully I will find a better unit before I get around to starting that project. If anyone else has any input on the subject, please chime in, but do try to stay on subject.

I am using a JoyE 510 model... it's enough smoke for a pretty decent effect. It could do say muzzle smoke or be used for a "shorting out" electronics type effect.

It's not going to fill a room, though.

I have some battery side connectors on the way, maybe I could knock something up to demo the smoke making potential in a prop-ized configuration. I'll see what I can do and post the results here.

I dropped the ball... as it ends up I sent the ones I had to my sister, so I am without supplies to try it now.

I may revisit it at some point, but the "Honey-do" and "I gotta tinker with" list are pretty long, LOL.

http://cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=112874 goes into depth on making smoke-generating costume props. (And was my primary introduction to EL Film...)
    But particularly if we mix this with some saber-level optics - a really narrow beam of light shot into the smoke, and propel the smoke in a cohesive and fast "ball" as far as possible, that'd be an amazing effect.
    I'm not sure what you'd need to do to pack the smoke and fire it though; there's those ridiculous looking giant Airzookas, but I don't know if those could be miniaturized and motorized successfully...something that pumps in the smoke then pumps it out quickly would be ideal. Use a Star Wars Laser Tag Rebel Blaster for the sound card when all is said and done...

Oh hey, I should read my own posts: http://www.zerotoys.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=PRODUCTS
    They already make a gun that shoots smoke rings 12 feet - feel up to modifying/narrowing the output nozzle to try and make a smoke beam instead?

Ooh, video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCqiCs5A-1I
    Last edited by Tyhm; 06-06-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?