Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hand-and-a-half Saber

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    Cool. Love the Idea of el wire, that looks really good on other builds I've seen it on.

Just an after thought, If you go for this build have a think about the choke you've added above the pommel. Have a look at the choke style 3 and then switch the ends. This may look more astethicly pleasing and will let you use the length a bit better
    I thought about the style 3 choke. In fact, it is what I originally had in mind, however, I think the style 1 Long, gives it more of a medieval feel. The saber is based from KOTOR themes. Thanks for your advice though, I appreciate it!

DS

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also feel that the choke should be somewhere else. The way you have it at the end IMO makes it look fragile (though I know it won't be) and out of place.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Default choke

Well, my inspiration is coming from Celtic weapons, and many had the narrowing above the pommel. I think it makes it look unique. Also, when dealing with matters of the force, appearances don't matter.
    We are all pursuing our convictions. The Jedi's truth is simply that which they desire to be true, as it is with us. In that way, Jedi are no different than we Sith, even if they would like to be. -Darth Shadox-

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, Medieval stuff. That makes sense then, with that in context it looks quite good.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I quite like the 'medieval battle ax' look of your design and agree that bladeholder 18 looks better...personally I'd go with the 'grenade' style v-grooved extension and have some parts powder coated but its a powerful looking great saber design...good luck building it.

Thanks Obi, In stead of powder coating i'm looking at anodization of the parts. The color palette i'm looking for is Crimson, with gold and black accents.
    We are all pursuing our convictions. The Jedi's truth is simply that which they desire to be true, as it is with us. In that way, Jedi are no different than we Sith, even if they would like to be. -Darth Shadox-

DS, i can understand you're a big dude and thus need a larger hilt, but 18inches? 13in sounds fine for your needs. if you're worried about leverage and counterweighting the blade, just hammer some lead fishing weights into the pommel and secure those suckers.

but, hey, that's my 2cents. it's your call in the end. rock on

I am a big guy as well, 6'8" 275 lbs. and have big hands. My first saber was longer but with the blade in it it felt like a waste. While it is personal prefrence, and go with what feels right, I have changed my saber to be about 12-13 inches and it feels right with the blade in it. I do have a longer blade in my hilt though which probably evens everything out.

I know your looking for the ax feel but then I would probably recomend a smaller blade with the longer handle.

If your just looking at having the hilt to use primaryly then no worries.

Just something to think about.

Are you going to have sound? I'm pretty sure the speaker isn't going to fit with that choke/pommel combination.

Darth Shadox...it's rather amusing to me that I found this thread. I've been toying with the idea of a "hand and a half" sword or more specifically a "bastard" sword for a few months now and I've got my measurements at slightly under 12" in length minus the emiter/blade holder. Funnier still is that part of this thread went the way of mentioning both double blades and a shoto. My whole reasoning to want to go hand and a half was to make it a double with the "half" being detachable and becoming a shoto. I figured it would be highly cool to do. My trouble is figuring out how to do it with parts on this site and if i'll be able to fit all the guts needed inside as well as where to put a second switch for the "shoto" end. Might put the switch in the butt end of it so that it would make use of the opening in the pommel when separated.