Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saber Sound Boards

Default Saber Sound Boards

From all the research I have done. It SEEMS that the plectorlabs sound boards are the best quality sound boards for the lightsaber. However, I have also heard that there is about only 100 produced every year so obtaining one seems near impossible. Can you guys list other saber sound boards of good quality in order of best quality to lowest quality and a "()" next to each with a note saying if its "easy, medium, difficult" to obtain. Thanks.

It would also help if there are videos showing the soundboard sounds so I can make comparisons, but that really isnt necessary. Ill just take all the information I can gather and do more research.

Well... there are a few boards out there aside from the elusive holy grail(Crystal Focus from plecterlabs) made by the community. I will not post a "this is better then that" on community boards but I will tell you the difference is high end (Cf type) boards use accelerometer tech(like your iphone) and the normal boards (which are actually super awesome with screen acurate soundfonts) use spring/ball type sensors which work great(thats why they use them) that being said not as good, but still great. Here's a list(others may add or have a different opinion on this but...). REMEMBER this list excludes community made products (BTW you are not allowed to talk sales but Ill help ya as much as I can).

1) Master Replicas/Hasbro Fx lightsaber Soundboard(NON removable blade), From any MR/Hfx lightsaber=evilbay or broken ones from friends closets, Original screen accurate Soundfonts.. pretty much sounds perfect(imo).. comes in two versions standard Jedi or Sith.. pretty much easy to get (see fx sabers forums)

2) MR/Hfx Lightsaber (removable blade), same.. broken or evilbay.. NEW soundfonts... but the soundboard has its drawbacks(not just availability issues) but I'm begining to see some broken ones so I think you could get one easy enough if you want one.. but for me I place this board under the older board(for now) because it just doesnt have enough community support(I.E. threads/tutorials/diags/guys(or ladies) who can tell you what "this" thing is.. if you need to replace it.. so for now.. this is second.

3) "Hasbro 2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/DVD"(<-thats what it says on the box) Soundboard, This is the easiest Soundboard to find of the 3, you can get them at walmart/target type stores for just under $20(generally) so they are cheap, easy to get and work GREAT actually.. you can run this board on one 3.7v battery and with a minor mod(tip42) it will power an LED as bright as you like
    _______________ ok basically they have been using the "econo" boards for awhile but this newest version is by far (BY FAR) the best. There are many many other boards out there but those are your basic choices. I hope this helps

EDIT!: Here's the link about the econo board, http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...w-DVD-Tutorial
    Last edited by dgdve; 01-02-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add link

CF (Crystal Focus) - PlecterLabs product (higher end board).. availability is increasing.. just be diligent in your research and be ready for when product becomes available.. (more being made each year/batch)

PC (Petit Crouton) - PlecterLabs product (mid-high end board).. availability will increase as well..

USB (Ultra Sound Board) - UltraSabers & Nova Concepts product (plagued by bugs in many versions, support is non-existent.....and these boards are atcually no longer currently being produced...'legally'.... you may find the original developer selling some off on ebay....but many havent received theirs..or when returned for warranty/repair..never got them back)

MR/FX boards - Master Replica/Force Effects products (buy almost anywhere.. usually you have to buy a 'hilt/saber' and gut it for the sound board yourself..although they can be purchased on forums/ebay already removed if need be. (do your home work on these..some are for EL..or other restrictions)

Hasbro/Economy (Econo) boards.. can be ripped/gutted from TOY sabers from Target/wal-mart...etc.. there are OLD ones & NEW ones (toys).. read up on them before making your purchase..
    some are not that usable (ie: QG 1999 board)..and some need a few extra parts.. but for the most part....this is the most economical & available approach for many.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To reference the above post...
    I have used many 1999 quigon boards I have snagged at yard sales. They work fine and never have had One quit On me yet.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I didnt mean to say it isnt usable at all.. to clarify.. I have always thought/read those are sensative to the power they get.. where as others can take the 6volts..etc..

the point being, research your board(s) to see what is needed for it.. some need extra parts.. some are best used ONLY as sound addition and NOT to drive an LED...etc

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good point, I haven't noticed any power problems with that board anyway...

Listen to xl97, you should always find the power your board needs and the current it gives out
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Speaking of sound boards, does anyone know if Tim is still developing his own sound board? I know there was talk of it a while ago. Obviously this will be another sound option for everyone if this board gets made.
    Follow Your Bliss

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

acording to the rumors i've heard, yes he's working on one. i've also heard a rumor that the LED driver boards may or may not be integrated into it as well, but that might just be complete rumor... until it gets made and is up for sale, i would leave it off the list since we have no specs, tech used, or price on it.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

The LED driver won't be a part of it.
    It will be released soon.
    It will be awesome. (Trust me)

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I hear it lets you see through walls and grants you 3 wishes! :P

Im sure Tim will take care of it.. he said around the end of the year I think/thought? the holidays, customers...etc Im sure it'll be here.