Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst mistakes

I don't have one big lightsaber mistake, just a bunch of little ones. Like using quick disconnects on every single component. Or shorting (very briefly) the batteries when installing the recharge port. Spending way too much money on a single MHS part I ultimately didn't like very much on my hilt. And ordering a blade from Ultrasabers. It's been 3 weeks...hello???!?
    Last edited by Obi-Ben; 06-25-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    I don't have one big lightsaber mistake, just a bunch of little ones. Like using quick disconnects on every single component. Or shorting (very briefly) the batteries when installing the recharge port. Spending way too much money on a single MHS part I ultimately didn't like very much on my hilt. And ordering a blade from Ultrasabers. It's been 3 weeks...hello???!?
    Whats the problem about using quick disconnects on alot of the components? I know not two but no body has explained why..

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It takes up a bunch of space in the hilt. Once you make a saber with accent LEDs, a recharge port, and a sound board, you'll understand
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

LM, you forgot the batteries.........
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Banned Sith Lord

no i dont have a vid of the incident i wish i did though. lol. it was awsome. and yes it doesnt specify lighsaber mistakes j lo. plus this in MISC.

It is only in Misc because I moved it here. It was originally in LED hilts/wiring I believe. When the discussion got too out of hand, I moved it. -LM

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    It takes up a bunch of space in the hilt. Once you make a saber with accent LEDs, a recharge port, and a sound board, you'll understand
    Yeah, exactly. It was a tight fit to begin with, and there was no way I could get everything to fit with all the needless bulk. Once I cut out all the quick connects and excess wire length, I had quite a pile on my desk. The saber works just fine without them.

Still waiting on my blade...

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    Boring a hole through a a piece of solid round aluminum on a lathe and leaving the drill bit inside of it between drilling sessions. Aluminum then cools, contracts and traps the bit. I have ruined at least two emitters and 1 drill bit that way. Never again.

I've sawed through my finger, dremeled a hole through a piece that I was holding in my hand, forgot to wear eye protection while using a cutting wheel (the wheel broke from the pressure, flew across the room hitting the wall and bounced back and stuck me in the eye), and I've burned myself pretty good with a soldering iron. I can't wait to get a lathe and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Sunfire View Post
    I've sawed through my finger, dremeled a hole through a piece that I was holding in my hand, forgot to wear eye protection while using a cutting wheel (the wheel broke from the pressure, flew across the room hitting the wall and bounced back and stuck me in the eye), and I've burned myself pretty good with a soldering iron. I can't wait to get a lathe and see what happens!
    Holy crap--I don't think you should ever have graduated from the safety sissors. You need to stay away from all machines and anything sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    Holy crap--I don't think you should ever have graduated from the safety sissors. You need to stay away from all machines and anything sharp.
    LANGUAGE DUDE!!! PG forums!!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Wow, this makes my worst mistake seem mild- snapping off a tap in a bladeholder. I couldn't get that thing out of the bladeholder so I just resorted to grinding down what was exposed and covering it with a sinktube overlay.

The only ouchies I've sustained from the hobby were not wearing gloves while Dremeling and accidentally letting my metal cutting bit wander into my thumb (gave myself a tiny nick...I consider myself lucky there), picking up a screw right after I dremeled it to shorten the length of the threaded section...can you say burn?...and the worst one was reaching over my soldering iron (no soldering station) and bringing the fleshy part of my palm down right onto the tip of the iron because it was late and I was not being observant. Gundamaniac + sharp/hot objects = bad bad bad news. Why am I in this hobby again?

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!