Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Worst mistakes

mine would have to be when i was about ten. i had a old Plastic electronic darth maul saber with sound, lights, yada yada. so i let my three year cousine play with it. he goes running through a door with the hilt horizontaly and snap it splits in to. i wasent upset i thought it was funny that it still worked in two pieces! lol
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

My worst mistakes have not been that bad. I got impatient with my US(2.0) board "man-handled" it, and now it no longer works. I was not looking at what I was doing and picked up my sodering iron from the hot end. It took me a little over 1 sec. to realize my mistake and only my little finger escaped unburned. I had another run in with my impatientence and broke a tap in a Blade holder that I spent hours machining and because of where it broke I cant get the thing out and I cant cover it up so, I just have to look at it

Speaking of worst mistakes..

How long does Ultrasabers take to make their sabers? I ordered one a while ago, and all I get for a response it "no estimate time to build".

Let's hope that'll be my only mistake.

The use of protective eyewear cannot be over emphasized. When dremeling today, a piece of...something flew up and hit me in the eye. Could have been a HUGE mistake. I don't have protective glasses, so I wore my ski goggles instead.

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh. I can't believe it, what a bone head. My first mistake, I drilled holes in the emmiter of nameless without the heatsink in it. Soooooooooooo when I came to screw it together, yup the holes were off centre.

School boy error.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

LOL! BTDT.

You're in good company on that one. If you use a set screw instead of a thumb screw, it's not as noticeable.

Yeah, but what about the other 6 holes on the front??? Ha ha ha. What a plank. Now i've either got to buy a new one or find a way to keep the heatsink and lens holder from moving inside which it does at the moment.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

So I'm sitting out in the desert soldering together a battery pack. I don't notice that a tiny droplet of solder has gotten away from me and has cooled bridging the positive pole with the body of the battery... also known as the negative pole... I think to myself "This is getting hot, better set it aside for a bit so I don't damage the battery... wait it's getting really hot I wonder..." That's when the battery explodes, spraying my face with battery acid. Fortunately I had blinked at the right moment and was able to empty a bottle of water over my face and chest and walked away unscathed.

I was acutely aware for days that I was probably a good four hours away from the nearest hospital by helicopter, if i had happened to have a helicopter handy, which I didn't.

For those playing along at home, don't do that. And if you do that, wear eye protection.

-Uncle Ghostbat

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    So I'm sitting out in the desert soldering together a battery pack. I don't notice that a tiny droplet of solder has gotten away from me and has cooled bridging the positive pole with the body of the battery... also known as the negative pole... I think to myself "This is getting hot, better set it aside for a bit so I don't damage the battery... wait it's getting really hot I wonder..." That's when the battery explodes, spraying my face with battery acid. Fortunately I had blinked at the right moment and was able to empty a bottle of water over my face and chest and walked away unscathed.
    I was acutely aware for days that I was probably a good four hours away from the nearest hospital by helicopter, if i had happened to have a helicopter handy, which I didn't.
    GB- Whew! I think the Universe is trying to tell you something. I don't have to learn my lesson if I can learn your lesson. Glad to hear the "unscathed" part. BTW I never did like the desert, every time I have ever been in a desert I have had to shoot someone...

I have two that took place on the same build. Actually, my first build. I was attempting to build an internal sound-card chassis out of PVC pipe. The pipe fit perfectly. I wanted a little to stick out thinking I'd be able to access the SD card there by unscrewing the pommel. Well, when I attempted to attach the pieces, the threads didn't line up just right. Instead of stopping right there like I should have, what did I do? I thought, it must just be a tight fit around the PVC, so like a neanderthal, I just twisted harder, and harder, and by the time I realized what I'd done, it was too late. The threads had totally stripped and both parts were seized. I tried vise grips, strap wrenches, and finally got them apart by banging them on my butcher block kitchen island. Now I'm waiting for two replacement parts from Tim. STUPID STUPID STUPID!

The second one is actually kinda funny, even to me. I had my internal chassis all done and assembled. I had one accent LED to solder on, and the position it was in forced me to hold my soldering iron at a weird angle. Then what happened? The magnet in my premium speaker jumped right onto the side of my hot iron and totally melted the diaphragm. Now I'm waiting for a replacement speaker from Tim too.

Go ahead! Laugh it up Fuzzball!
    "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." -- Genesis 3:24 Lightsabers are real.