Thread: Need a potentiometer for volume control

Default Need a potentiometer for volume control

I am going to use a potentiometer for volume control on my next saber with a hsabro sound board. I was wondering if anyone has used one before. Something small that could easily mount in a saber. I looked at digikey and mouser, and there are a whole lot of choices. I am planning on searching through all of it, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this.

For volume, you want at least a 250k audio (logarithmic) taper pot. You can use up to 1Meg. Grounding out one of the outer legs will make it work for volume. If you do the wrong side it will be left handed. Sorry, I don't have any links saved on this computer or I would post them for you.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Thanks, that helps to limit the field. I definitely need to find one with some good style. Its gotta look good.

You can always change the knob too.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    I am going to use a potentiometer for volume control on my next saber with a hsabro sound board. I was wondering if anyone has used one before. Something small that could easily mount in a saber. I looked at digikey and mouser, and there are a whole lot of choices. I am planning on searching through all of it, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this.
    Eandori was *JUST* talking to Erv and myself about this concept for CF.

He might be able to help, so... who knows, maybe he'll see this thread and chime in!

I will say... a POT is basically a variable resistor. In essence... think of it like when you throw a resistor onto a "direct drive" saber. The more it resists--the less power/current is getting to the LED, and if you find the "sweet spot", you can figure out how to dim the light.

Same applies for the sound (for the mostpart). You could always start with metering the current on the sound/speaker lines... make SOME sort of educated guess as to what you need to resist (100ohms? 200ohms?)... and find a POT with a variance that is "in that ballpark".

After that, it's just a matter of finding exactly what is "no sound", and what is the MAX you want it at. Just be careful not to allow TOO much power through to the speaker... or it may destroy it.

And (as if that isn't enough) differing boards will work differently. The Hasbro may not pump out enough juice to have you be CONCERNED with sending out "too much power". I don't know.

But... it *IS* some work / tinkering to do! Plus another knob/button to mount.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks Nova. That helps. Now I'll have to find some good looking knobs

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Eandori was *JUST* talking to Erv and myself about this concept for CF.

He might be able to help, so... who knows, maybe he'll see this thread and chime in!

I will say... a POT is basically a variable resistor. In essence... think of it like when you throw a resistor onto a "direct drive" saber. The more it resists--the less power/current is getting to the LED, and if you find the "sweet spot", you can figure out how to dim the light.

Same applies for the sound (for the mostpart). You could always start with metering the current on the sound/speaker lines... make SOME sort of educated guess as to what you need to resist (100ohms? 200ohms?)... and find a POT with a variance that is "in that ballpark".

After that, it's just a matter of finding exactly what is "no sound", and what is the MAX you want it at. Just be careful not to allow TOO much power through to the speaker... or it may destroy it.

And (as if that isn't enough) differing boards will work differently. The Hasbro may not pump out enough juice to have you be CONCERNED with sending out "too much power". I don't know.

But... it *IS* some work / tinkering to do! Plus another knob/button to mount.