Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with problem with recharge port

Question Need help with problem with recharge port

I'm almost finished building my saber. I have a problem with my recharge port though.

The kill switch cuts the power fine until I screw the pommel on. When the pommel touches the main body of the saber, electricity is conducted. If I unplug the kill switch, the saber works fine. I wired the recharge port exactly like in the pic above. Did I do anything wrong?
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i am not."

A picture of the recharge port installed in the insert from the inside would be more helpful.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Is part of the recharge port grounding out against the hilt? You may want to put heat shrink on the terminals on the recharge port and see if that fixes your problem. I have only done a few recharge ports but have never had that problem and I always heat shrink the terminals.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I used the recharge port sold on this site. It's like the one in the picture.

I don't think part of the recharge port grounding out against the hilt.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Like Kal said, a picture of it from the inside of the pommel would be helpful.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

That's the actual recharge port. It's screwed to a MPS Insert style 6.

When the kill plug is in, as soon as the pommel touches de main body, there're sparkles. This doesn't happen when the kill plug is off.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As a test try putting electrical tape around the recharge port where the metal on the terminals is showing, if that fixes it put heatshrink on the terminals and tap around the part that heat shrink won't fit on.

OK, I'll try it. The terminals aren't touching the pommel though (not even close). I tried touching the main body with the outside of the pommel and the same problem happens.

Did I wire the recharge port correctly?

Could the port be defective?

Putting electrical tape around the recharge port where the metal on the terminals is showing didn't solve the problem.

Looking at your pic, the solders are not that great, but that wouldn't make a diff anyway, seems that the port itself has an internal cotact with the mounting ring, most likely a bad recharge port.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)