Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cree XR-E vs Luxeon V

Default Cree XR-E vs Luxeon V

HI there ! I searched on forum and i only saw Cree vs Luxeon III comparison . Probably i didnt searched enough . I wanted to know if Cree xre is brighter than a Luxeon V . Im interested only in brightness not in baterry life saving . Thanks !

They are pretty close, but Lux V is brighter

Blue
    Lux V 48 lumens
    Cree XR-E 42 lumens
    Seoul P4 38 lumens

Green
    Lux V 160 lumens
    Seoul P4 Green (brighter than Cree, not as bright as lux V)
    Cree XR-E 133 lumens

White is no contest. Cree XR-E (R2 or Q5 bin) and Seoul P4 (U bin) white are crazy bright.

Tim should really stock the Cree XR-E

They are very close. The difference is in the batteries. You need quite a bit more voltage to power the lux V. That means lithium cells, which have less battery life, or a crazy big battery pack.
    Last edited by vargose; 06-17-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Edited out because Vargose beat me to it lol

But yes it would be nice if TCSS carried Crees since the 'high end' sound cards are in short supply an LED that 'plays well' [is still bright] with the low amperage econo [toy] boards is a good thing right now...even 'toy' sound is better than none and not having to trade off brightness much for it would be better.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 06-17-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks for answering ! I tought that Cree XR-E green was brighter than my Luxeon V green but i know that at this color they cant evan compare .
    Last edited by Serath; 06-17-2009 at 11:53 AM.

According to the Cree site's spec sheet the green is only rated for 700 milliamps max unlike the blue which is max rated for a full Amp...thus the blue can gain more as the amperage is upped to the maximum and is thus usable across a very wide range of applications with different drive methods...I can see now why the blue Cree is so popular with some smiths who offer economy soundboards in sabers as well as with others using higher end boards.

Now that I've read the spec sheet I think I'm going to have to try one...thanks Serath for posting this thread.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I use the CREEs with economy hasbros all the time. The blues are brighter than the green but both are still pretty bright.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

so this isn't really all that related, but with a board like US that has selectable output, what would a cree be driven as, or wouldn't you use it with this board? What would be the result, brighter, dimmer, about the same...?

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Cree XRE has a maximum current rating of 1000ma, so you'd run iton the Lux III setting like you would also do for a P4 Seoul.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

thanks Jay, i almost bought a flashlight with one of these in it. it was an RGB signal light for hunters, the blue was supposed to make blood trails glow or something...anyway, thanks for the info.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks everyone for the information !