Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First MHS saber concept

Default First MHS saber concept

Howdy folks!
    I stumbled upon TCSS by accident about a week ago and after seeing the MHS, I had to make one. I've been making hardware-store sabers since I was about ten years old, so I figure I've earned a step up

After much to-ing and fro-ing over chokes and main bodies, fluting and so on that's what I came up with. It will be a static hilt at first but I may upgrade it in future with electronics, and I'll invariably also buy additional parts to modify it when I see fit... if I had the money to buy every part in the store and spend a week trying different configurations, I undoubtedly would

There will probably be parts painted black, but I'm not sure what yet. Right now I'm thinking the grooves in the handle and blade holder...

Will update when I get the parts later this month

Pete

That's a nice design. very classic

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice design. I think having the grooves in the hilt and emitter powder coated black will look great.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Cheers I probably won't get powder coating, as I like to mess around with paintjobs every now and then for a fresh look - my guitars are more paint and primer than wood

I've just been doing some different paintjobs on the GIMP to see what I like...

I think I'm leaning towards the fourth from the left, but I don't know why I did any of the pommels black, I really don't like it...

Opinions welcome...

Pete

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I like the 3rd one from the right best and the 3rd one from the left second.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I like the one in the middle best

I like #1 and# 5 from the left.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Thatīs a nice design to start with, very clean, and looks nice to spin and handle. Painting it will give that extra touch indeed, and I think that the third one from the right is a winner IMHO. Iīd go and add a cyan LED too, and make it look a little less static

Hey again folks!

I did a little bit more twiddling with the paint schemes, nothing major, and then added an orange blade to the pictures...

I got a little carried away so you lose a lot of emitter detail But nothing much has changed there.

Rhyen - I can see where you're coming from, particularly from my point of view since I have to paint it It could be a bit awkward getting the line between painted and unpainted right on the fourth saber. Third from the right has the advantage that I can just paint and sand, with very little hassle...

What I don't want to do, though, is make it look like a black lightsaber with metallic accents, so I don't want to add too much black and I don't want it to be too "exposed". Ie, I think the widest points of the saber should be metallic, with just blackened grooves and choke. It's just what grooves and what parts of the choke that's throwing me! Maybe a bit of china-marker-madness when I get the parts in is in order...

Vazan - Cheers! I did want something simple - the character for which the Lightsaber is intended is a Sith Marauder, and I thought that for someone who is, basically, purely a combatent and very little else, practicality would be more important than aesthetics. I have reconsidered this somewhat after taking this screencap, though:

Where the mask is far more intricate than I first thought. I'm considering somehow incorporating similar designs into the saber, though I'm not sure how. I also considered whether psychological warfare would be a factor (ie, the biggest, scariest, meanest looking saber going) but decided it wouldn't be; let's face it, the Marauders are scary enough in that armour on their own, the cut of their saber ain't gonna make much difference! What it cuts, on the other hand . . .

I am thinking about a few LEDs in the hilt, just to make it looks a bit more active as you say; and with the lead Sith in the TOR trailer having red lights on his mask and chestpiece, I think it would tie in well enough. Maybe a blinking one and a static one; not entirely sure, though. I do want it to have a blade of some sort, though it would probably be a stunt one just 'cause I'm clumsy as can be

Pete

Welcome aboard Xiarr...I really like the second from the right in your orange bladed pic a lot for a Sith saber but I know you said you don't want much black so I'd say the first one on the left looks most Sithy of the rest to me...the others all look more like Jedi sabers to my eyes. Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary and good luck with your build.