Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: TOR Sith Marauder - pic heavy!

Guess what....
    I'm still working on this costume.
    Introducing Helmet mkIII:

Stunning! How did you do the raised detailing?
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

that's really,really good.
    did you use a tracing with a sculpting tip for the ornamentation? It is very well done.
    I love watching evolving costumes, yours is awesome, I hope mine, which i'm in the midst of crafting, will be half as good.

In reply to your question I'll copy and paste directly from my post on another forum. The build is very similar to what you've seen already in this thread.
    Okay so call me silly but I got myself hyped about SW:TOR again, and what happens when I get hyped about SW:TOR? I go ahead and start re-making stuff for my costume.
    I was already on my second version of the helmet but having this guy's image on my desktop just makes me feel jealous about that awesome mask.

This time I'm more determined to get it right, and dgdve has taught me that patience can bring results, plus after seeing the finish on some of his work it got me re-thinking some parts of my mask. I also have to admit that I was jealous of the mask that mywickedarmor made, I know you guys had kind words to say about mine but in the back of my mind mine was no longer good enough.
    So once again I restarted my helmet, in the same style as I always do I start with a rough template:

and copy it onto cardboard to get the basic face shape:

I used a voice changing death eater mask as a template for the top, covered in paper mache:

This gave me these pieces:

Put together form:

This lot was covered in paper mache:

Before being given some coats of resin+sand+prime+resin+sand+prime.

Fast forward (skip some resin and sanding) and it's time for some details:

So, last time I attempted this I discovered that I couldn't paint the fancy swirls very accurately (I didn't have the patience!). So what am I going to do this time. Perhaps I was foolish or perhaps I was taking notice of the fact that there really shouldn't be a timescale on this, I could after all just do this bit by bit and get there eventually one day... so my weapon of choice for the next 10-12 hours of freetime were these:

And I spent hours cutting tiny bits of cardboard and sticking them onto my mask:

Bit by bit I worked my way around the mask:

And eventually it was covered:

After I'd covered it in glue and (crappy timewasting) little bits of cardboard I gave it another coat of resin, before spraying it with primer. It looked okay I thought, the details were still visible, so I added some rub'n' buff before giving it some a black wash with some acrylic paint. I ended up with this:

It even has my forum name on it:

I'm still waiting for some red paint that I've ordered to be delivered so that I can paint the mouth area and the forehead areas. I'm pleased I've done this, I certainly consider this an improvement for my costume and I've learnt a bit along the way.

that's killer, thanks for showing the process!

Awwwww thx buddy! (hehe)... BUT this is 110% you boy (your not blaming that masterpiece on me!)

Ive said it alot but I couldnt be more pleased to see how this rebuild has progressed... I really feel this time the bar is raised sooooo very very high as far as symettry, screen accuracy, as well as professional finishing that this (3rd rebuild) has already proven itself to be a true UNICORN (like chasing a dream).. thx for allowing the rest of us (dreamers) from the various forum families (Tcss/Fx/Tde)... to kinda jog and run alongside.

Its easy to make (or purchase) a nice costume helm (and no offense to the rich kids if thats your thing)... Its also easy to take a few pics and post it all in the name of the glamour/glory shot.. BUT to me (especially at TCSS with its DIY roots).. Watching a build progress gives us all a tiny piece of the dream (to share OR to chase).. Its that type of sharing, sharing of techniques, of idea's, the little tricks.. just everything that shows how BIG your heart is.. blah blah... rambling whatever..

If I have to sum up how I feel in one single line.. -> "Im VERY proud of you boy!!!" (thank you so very much for sharing! and lol to the shoutout)
    ~dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Incredible pictures and quality crafting, also as another UK fanboy nice pictures in the snow :P

Just absolutely epic! Looks awesome mate well done.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Excellent use of materials, mate! The Rub'n'Buff and the wash did a great job of popping the details.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion