Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: RGB Star

Well, my blades are rarely longer than 33".

As for differences in blade tip techniques, I would have to respectfully disagree with you on there being little to no difference between the methods. The ones I use(from Ultra) do not have extreme brightness near the reflective material and allow a good amount of light to pass thru into the tip.

I've also used tips that were extremely bright at the mirror, much more so than the brightness of the overall blade. Some like this let no light into the tip, while others let too much light into the tip.

I use 36" blades pretty much exclusively and use semitransparent reflectors I've found it to be pretty even if you use a decent film, currently I use poly-p under corbin film and it's pretty impressive with a P4 green or wight filtered to purple.

Quote Originally Posted by killphil View Post
    Well, my blades are rarely longer than 33".

As for differences in blade tip techniques, I would have to respectfully disagree with you on there being little to no difference between the methods. The ones I use(from Ultra) do not have extreme brightness near the reflective material and allow a good amount of light to pass thru into the tip.

I've also used tips that were extremely bright at the mirror, much more so than the brightness of the overall blade. Some like this let no light into the tip, while others let too much light into the tip.
    Phil, those blade tips that you get from Ultrasabers are the same ones that Tim sells here, so there isn't any difference in how they light up a blade...I have used them from both Tim and Ultra, and they are identical....where do you think Ultra gets them?

The tips sold at both places come with a mirror already on them...you just need to make sure you remove the protective film from the mirror before you install it. I have a method I like to use on my blades when I assemble them that retains the mirror, but also lets more light into the tip, making it as bright as the rest of the blade, while maintaining an even brightness throughout the blade.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The tips themselves are identical, yes, but the reflective material is where the differences are.

The tips here at TCSS have a reflective material that encompasses the whole inner diameter of the tip and the reflective material is very thick like cardboard(only in thickness and feel, obviously not the look of it).

Whereas the tips I have gotten from Ultra have always had a mirror that was smaller than the inner diameter and the reflective material was more akin to a sticker(very thin).

Edit:
    Here's what I mean:

They are both thick walled tips. They were the only 2 extras I had lying around. All my thin walled tips are being used, but it's always been the same way, regardless of what kind of tips I bought. TCSS tips are always like the one on the left.

Likewise, every Ultra tip I have purchased are like the one on the right.

Double edit:
    I also forgot to mention, the tip on the right allows absolutely NO light into the tip. The other one does.
    Last edited by killphil; 06-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Have you bought one recently?
    As in like the last month? or week? I have both here in my parts bin, and I'm telling you, they are IDENTICAL, right down to the mirror that's on BOTH tips.

alex told me along time ago that he used to use Con-Tact silver contact paper on his blade tips, but that was before he started getting them from Tim.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 06-17-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I can't say that I have. It's been at least six months since I bought those tips. I was unaware that there had been any changes in the tips since then.
    Last edited by killphil; 06-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, Ultra stopped using contact paper when he started ordering from Tim.

I use mylar also. Why? I find a full mirror doesn't light up the tip enough. Cutting a smaller one helps but IMO it concentrates too much on the very apex of the tip. I use two or three layers of the mylar and it gives equivalent brightness with a full even tip color.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

So, I take it the mylar encoumpasses the whole ID of the tip?

Does it have to be mylar specifically, or can you use poly p?

Mylar works better.

Ultrasabers gets blade tips from TCSS
    butthurtz is a path to the darkside.
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to butthurtz. Butthurtz leads to suffering

Gee that's what I said in post # 18.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)