Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cutting Paterns for Sink Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by LordCyric View Post
    Or, you could use a Metal cutting disc on your Compound miter Saw and not need a design drawn.
    That's what I do.

that calculatr is a nice find, though.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jagahati View Post
    Maybe it is as worthless as you all seem to think but I thought it was a neat find.
    Not at all, In fact it is a rather good find.

New ideas like to be discussed here, and all possible ways to do something like to be presented.

There will never be a "end all,be all" solution to cutting sinktube. Some prefer graph paper, some (like you) like to use computers, and some just freehand it.

If making sinktube templets with the software is your favorite way, by all means do it!

Thanks for sharing your ideas, it is the way better things are learned.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I think that calculator IS a great find.....especially for those new to saber making.

That being said I just cheat.....I wrap the graph paper around the tube and lightly sketch what i want it to look like...then flatten it out and clean it up. This way it was drawn on the curved surface and matches my vision better.

I also use a black permanent marker and completely tape over the graph paper when cutting. This keeps it from moving at all while I am cutting.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I found a neat little trick with that program. If you set the second diameter (parent tube) smaller than the 1st tube diameter it will give you a second dip in the layout. I have tried at different angles and it looks pretty cool.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

well im just playing with this now and i think it works i tryed the graph paper kinda worked but this is still cool and the way i think im gonna go

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

I've just started fabricating my first saber using a 14in angled steel tube. I wish i'd know about this calculator as my 45 degree angle was looking curved. I've given it a straight lip and a slight curve, which I actually like as it's a bit more real and less clinical. That said I may well use it for the chassis that's going inside it.

Good bit of information. It's like Tesco in here "every little helps". ha ha

Thanks Jaghati this is a good find, especially for those of us who DON'T have full workshops with compound miter saws eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Thanks Jaghati this is a good find, especially for those of us who DON'T have full workshops with compound miter saws eh?
    My thoughts exactly, some of us don't have room to set a miter saw up, this will help me get similar results without the equipment, maybe harder to do, but it opens up new options for me.

Smile pattern calculator for sink tube

Good pics.
    Mathematically speaking, those are sine waves of varying amplitudes and periods. Flip them 90 degrees and plot them along an x-axis, and it looks more like what you are used to seeing on your oscilloscope. You can look up how to do these plots from any old highschool trig or calc book. Standard graph paper works fine. I didn't look too close but if you go to www.wolframalpha.com and type in and equation you should be ble to get the graph and print it out. You may have to tweak on the scaling a-bit.

Very cool! For my friend's 12-hour Christmas saber, I Dremeled the angular cuts using graph paper. I did notice that there would be an issue with curvature, so I tried free-handing a curve into my graph paper template to correct for that. It turned out looking pretty decent I think, but the calculator will definitely be more accurate. Great find!

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!