Thread: Possible sound option (non Reactive)

Default Possible sound option (non Reactive)

Now I know most want reactive sound but I had a thought. Most of what it is we need is a storage device. Now I don’t know if it is feasible but what if you were to rewire a cheap MP3 player or shuffle stick. You could load sounds up on it and change them around a little. It is nothing fancy but it is a possible option for cheap sound. If you were top wire a momentary switch to the shuffle button you could change the sound....any who just a crazy...perhaps stupid thought.

The measure of true wisdom is the ability to entertain ones idea and not except it as your own.

o...k 40 views and no one has anything to add? i must just be crazy then lol. if any thing may be a way of making a saber with theam music lol ....any hoo

The measure of true wisdom is the ability to entertain ones idea and not except it as your own.

you can usually pick up a cheapie hasbro board that ARE reactive.. for much cheaper than a MP3 player that you have to cut or something... dont ya think?

Cheap sound = Hasbro...

It really is a great way to start when you want to take the next step and add sound. It may not be great but it really does teach you quite a bit about adding sound to a saber for a great price. You get reactive sound that's Star Wars accurate (mostly), you learn how to incorporate LED drive with a sound card (can't really run a saber LED well off of a Hasbro card so a puck or two is needed), and you learn how to set up the internal wiring and placement of a saber to best fit your design. I would think it cheaper and more relative to our hobby to use a Hasbro instead of an mp3 player.

On the other hand, I didn't mean any of that to discourage your train of thought... new and different ideas are what drive hobbies like ours to excel and progress
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

It would be good, but I think for ease i'd have to go with the Hasbro.

the MP3 would be fine (& is used) for non reactive sounds in costumes & props. I Think it was Woverine that uses his Ipod for the breathing on his Vader!

A good idea, and worth looking at maybe, but not the easiest to use as a cheapy...
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi coral View Post
    o...k 40 views and no one has anything to add? i must just be crazy then lol. if any thing may be a way of making a saber with theam music lol ....any hoo

Jedi Coral its not a stupid thought at all and thats partly how Erv Plecter's Crystal Focus soundcard works - it uses flash memory [in the form of SD/miniSD cards] just as those stick MP3 players do to store sounds [though in .raw not .mp3] and does have an 'iSaber' function that allows "theme music".

But beyond just storing the sounds there is also the matter of triggering the right degree of the right sounds at the right moments; swings, clashes, lockup etc...thats where saber soundcards do a lot of fancy motion and impact detection and other cool stuff that is more sophisticated than just 'shuffling' tracks from storage to player.

Personally I'm amazed by what soundcards do and take my hat off to those who make them!

the reason i post it is because it is hard for me to even find a hasbro down here...i kid you not. it is like we are the pimple on Australias back....lets face it tasmania is, but because of the the merchandising sucks and i personaly don't like ebay that much. but i will keep hunting. for me it will either be a MR or higher, and if all else fails it will be direct drive.

Finding soundcards is the big challenge in this hobby everywhere but I can imagine it must be even harder in Tassie...good luck with your search and remember there WILL be more runs of CFs and Ultrasounds sooner or later so you can always put a Hasbro or MR in or as you say direct-drive now and upgrade later when you get one eh? MTFBWY on your builds.

You can skip ebay if you like, try Target.com or Walmart.com or even Amazon... Lots of places carry the Hasbro sabers
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

try Craigslist too...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...