Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EL Battery life / dimming

Reaver

Default EL Battery life / dimming

I hooked my recently made EL saber up to 2x 9v batteries (good quality ones), and it worked great and was quite bright, but after using it on and off for what would add up to about 2 hours in total, its started dimming quite rapidly.

I have not tried the 12 volt setup, but for who has, does that last longer? I am thinking now that its just a 9v battery feature that it does'nt last long, but I am not sure.

from experience with people with el sabers, how much battery life are you getting from your setup, and what batt type are you using?

cheers

It has been my experence that the 9 volt batteries don't ever give good long term performance on anything needing higher output. I have the 8AAA 12 volt setup in a MHS EL saber and it has been used on and off for at least 4-5 hours. I also have a 8AA sink tube EL and I loaded up batteries when I built it and haven't changed them yet, by contrast, my kids sink tube EL's have been eating up 9 volts left and right like they were candy. They are all going to be switched to 8AAA since 1- they last longer and 2- I can get the mega 48 pack AA or AAA for what I pay for 8 9 volts. I know that it's six switch outs instead of 8 but for the longer life and significant brightness diff I 'll go that route.

<center></center>

I use the 8 AA or 8 AAA batteries on el sabers they last much longer. 9 volt batteries have a lower mah capacity is why they don't last very long, you can try the rechargeable 9 volt batteries to help keep your cost down, but I would do as James suggested just upgrade to the 12 volt set up.

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

Don't make me destroy you...

Hmm,

You had brand name batteries ? just(2) nine volts, but at nine volts ? not 18 volts ?

How did you wire it ?

I run to 9 volts, and never seen the problem you mentioned in that short of time frame.

The kids still have the same batteries in there saber. we get about 4 to 6 hours on them with the two batteries. Still pretty bright.

But I only recently did the 4hz for some people, and would asume, you are looking at 1/2 that life, compared to the 2hz.

So I would most likely think, you get a good 40 to 50 minutes out of it.

If not, re check the wiring ? grounding out somewhere inside at all ? a tad ?

The inverter not working properly maybe ?

dont seem right to me, with what you mentioned

Jedi Johnson

http://home.insightbb.com/~jedijohns...ome.html-.html

Dude if your getting 4-6 hours on 9 volts you need to start selling me batteries. I went out and got a fresh pack of batteries and I have one left. If reaver set it up for 18 volts he's not going to get any great life out of those puppies and it's been said a million times that the setup Tim sells is perfect at 12 volts. I can't say for Reaver but I shield my entire inside so there won't be any issues with grounding.

<center></center>

Here are some battery specs to help put things in perspective

Eveready Alkaline Batteries

AA 2850 mah
    AAA 1259 mah
    9 volt 625 mah

The 9 volt battery has less than 1/4 the capaicity of the AA battery and about 1/2 the capacity of the AAA battery. So you can see which one is going to last the longest.

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

I use just a generic battery from the battery store, installed 2 of them last summer. in each saber I built for the kids. They played with them all summer. And I adjusted for the on and off and so forth and around 4 hours.

But again it is just the 2hz inveter from coolight, the blue cube. 4 strands of el wire HB 2.5

2 (9) volts.

posted on my site how i made them, nothing fancy.

Ill soon see how long the 4hz lasts with 5 wires in each blade.

http://home.insightbb.com/~jedijohns...ome.html-.html

Thanks for the info JJ, I do believe you will get a wicked sweet surprise when you try out the 4khz inverter. I ended up building five kids sabers, one MHS/custom EL saber and I am trying to finish up my Lowes special. I think you will get a kick out of the inverter and using the good wire[]

I have done like five LED sabers now and I love them too but there is just something about the EL I still am partial too.

<center></center>

I have a fondness for El also and on my list of projects to do is build a custom El red saber for myself. I like the led sabers best but the El has that vintage look.[8D]

Do-Clo
    Brotherhood of the Sith

Reaver

yes actually I was running 2 x 9v wired up to put out 18 volts, using the 4khz inverter. those stats that do-clo put up are a good reference.

I am gonna put some AAA holders together and try this AAA system out. I can only just fit it into the 1.25" sink tube hilt, and cant fit the AA holders in unless I wanted to make a really long hilt.

anyone know the difference in brightness from the 12 vs 18 volts?