Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastery

ok...we're talking about fictional characters. "What is it with all the younglings/teenyboppers calling themselves "MASTER such-and-such?"" umm. why does it matter in the first place. i agree with zook, hidious and the rest, there are way too may homies that take this way too seriously. giving yourself a title or "earning" (used loosely) one doesn't make a difference. and if you're one of those cats that has been making sabers for 10+ years, guess what, you're still a nerd. congrats. i'm not bashing anyones work, but seriously. chill out.

perfect examples of lack of respect, braxus' idea works, i can respect that theory, it doesnt matter if youre a nerd or not, it doesnt matter if you are 14 or 41, if you are new to a trade or hobby you should respect those who came before you, you should do your own legwork and not ask them to spoonfeed you, its crappy upbringing, not "fictional characters that dont matter" Imagine a person walking into a dojo with a black belt on and declaring himself a master and asking a katana sheath was for? Think that would go over well? Imagine a guy walking into a police station with captains markings on a costume/uniform and asking which end of the gun the bullets come out of, how would that one go? I dont think most of the people who have the problem with this are really freaking out about it, just bothered, it seems the freaking has been done by those demanding that they deserve it or that it doesnt matter because its just letters on a page

I <3 Mako

"I carry my adornments... only on my soul." ---Cyrano DeBergerac (Edmund Rostand's "Cyrano")

Actions always speak louder than words, and in this case... people's POSTS will reveal the types of "levels" everyone has.

That being said... everyone should remember that SW-related stuff *IS* about enjoying the FANTASY of a super-hero movie-world, and it's especially so when kids are... well... KIDS and like 10, 11... 15... 16... etc.

I say... call yourself what you like--what's in a name? Agreed with Gravy. In the end... only your behavior--anywhere in life--shows your mastery... of whatever subject or concept.

When people read enough on these forums... the truth will present itself about who is a "real" master (whatever that means) at whatever it is they speak/post about... and who is not.

While we're ruminating about that... hmmm... I've always considered MYSELF a jack of many trades but master of none. And I think it's pretty clear that... well... that is quite exactly who I am... in REAL LIFE. I have absolutely no mastery over much of any skills/trades/etc. in life... but certainly a proficiency in several of such things.

I think it's safe to say that every single person who comes on here... has strengths and weaknesses in hobbies/skills/crafts/trades too.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    "I carry my adornments... only on my soul." ---Cyrano DeBergerac (Edmund Rostand's "Cyrano")

Actions always speak louder than words, and in this case... people's POSTS will reveal the types of "levels" everyone has.

That being said... everyone should remember that SW-related stuff *IS* about enjoying the FANTASY of a super-hero movie-world, and it's especially so when kids are... well... KIDS and like 10, 11... 15... 16... etc.

I say... call yourself what you like--what's in a name? Agreed with Gravy. In the end... only your behavior--anywhere in life--shows your mastery... of whatever subject or concept.

When people read enough on these forums... the truth will present itself about who is a "real" master (whatever that means) at whatever it is they speak/post about... and who is not.

While we're ruminating about that... hmmm... I've always considered MYSELF a jack of many trades but master of none. And I think it's pretty clear that... well... that is quite exactly who I am... in REAL LIFE. I have absolutely no mastery over much of any skills/trades/etc. in life... but certainly a proficiency in several of such things.

I think it's safe to say that every single person who comes on here... has strengths and weaknesses in hobbies/skills/crafts/trades too.
    A true master would never label him-self one. The "Master" would come from others out of earned respect. While the "Master" would humbly remind you "not to call him Mater".

And don't even get me started on "Lord". That means you LDM.

I am a Jack of one trade and it involves a circle.

I find it funny that on a site like JSSDC we have a total of 7 members using either Master,Darth,Jedi or Lord in their name, when 90% are Masters That I look up too. However there is only one GodMastaerLordDarthJedi.

In the End call your self what you want, we all know Who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    What is it with all the younglings/teenyboppers calling themselves "MASTER such-and-such" in recent months?

Whats so wrong with being a Padawan...I'm no noob and I still consider myself a Padawan until I will [someday] EARN being a Master...and I'm 45 years old.

Just my $0.02
    i agree i still am a padawan but i use my name as kinda of a set goal of what i will be called when i become a master. lol my Larping name is Actualy Vane Yagami.
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

Quote Originally Posted by grayven View Post
    Master, Lord, Darth, Jedi. Whatever Just call me God Grayven, Master of my own domain, Lord of Lords, the Jedi of all Jedi's, The Darthiest of all Darths.

Yeah that sums me up.

Got to go my wife want's her panties back.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!! Grayven.... that was amazing

Novastar- well said bro!
    Last edited by Revan; 05-27-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    "The force alone is my ally, and it shall guide me to my destiny."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Hmmm...my personal username was derived from my backstory (A member of a royal family like Lord Valenthyne Farfalla, whose title actually had nothing to do with his Jedi Master status). Most of my contemporaries know what I am talking about...I do get a little ruffled over "Master", but not so much over anything else. As far as being a true master...You cannot give yourself that title! Others must do it for you, I mean am I a master sabersmith? Hell, ask Gravy or Maul or J-Lo or Eastern, or decide for yourself! I could tell you who the "Masters" are because I have read these entire forums, but I won't. Here is a hint, a "Master" does not have to build a high quantity of sabers, but he/she must have contributed in a significant way to the community or have great skill. I will divulge one who you all may not think about...Obi-dar please take a bow!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I agree with LDM. Also, Yoda said that "Wars do not make one great". The same goes for being a master in the sabersmith world. It doesn't matter how many sabers you have made that make you a master, what makes you a master is how you share the knowledge and wisdom you have gained from making all those sabers with others and teaching them to how learn from their mistakes and how to obtain knowledge on their own.

I know of several "masters" here on this site, but they do not consider themselves masters. Like LDM said "You cannot give yourself that title! Others must do it for you" And yes LDM, I do consider you one of the masters on here. Not because of all the sabers you have built, but because of all the knowledge and wisdom you have shared. Plus, being able to put up with me takes a true master. lol
    Last edited by Rhyen Skytracker; 05-28-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Exclamation

I dont care who calls themselves what, as everyone knows who the masters are, they are the ones that give you the correct answers to questions.

My post count is huge, but it dont count for squat, Ive only made 1 saber and I havnt even tried to fit a soundcard yet!

Give respect to where it is due people!

Full of Win & Awesome. Current ranking, 10 internetz.
    Sponsoring internetz increases levels of Win & Awesome.
    Barmic youve got me started on something now

I was probably one of the first, most vocal ones long ago about people assigning themselves a rank title when they had not earned it. It likely stems from my time in the military, where we had to EARN the title.

However, if someone wants to call themselves Master or Darth or Lord, who am I to stop them? Their lack of skill will show through and everyone will know the title is just a word - there will be no weight behind it.

I don't consider myself a Master, even though I have built some very complex, very nice sabers through the years. At one time, I was making more per month building sabers than I was at my 8-5 job. Still, I realized I had much to learn. I still do. I'm still learning and researching and pushing my boundaries and capabilities. If anything, I am an accomplished padawan learner.

There are some folks that I look to as MASTERS, for they have demonstrated mastery of their craft or mastery of how to solve problems to come up with wonderous sabers for us all to marvel at. Funny thing is - none of these folks has "Master" or "Darth" or "Lord" anywhere in theur username on this or any other forum they frequent.