Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 Gram White Thermal Compound ???

Default 1 Gram White Thermal Compound ???

I just saw this as a new item. I couldn't find a thread on it.
    Anyway, what is 1 gram white thermal compound ?
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...ound-P443.aspx
    Does it have something to do with the heatsink ?
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHideous View Post
    I just saw this as a new item. I couldn't find a thread on it.
    Anyway, what is 1 gram white thermal compound ?
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...ound-P443.aspx
    yes.

Most heatsinks and the product you attach it to have small imperfections and do not make 100% contact with each other. To fix that and fill in any small imperfections and also to help in the thermal transfer they make thermal compound.

I thought the heatsinks at TCSS fit really well. At least in my builds. Which application would this apply to ?
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

These are most likely such small areas you wouldn't notice with the naked eye. This is the same sort of stuff they use with heatsinks on CPUs to keep them cool.

Its a good idea to use it between each LED & heatsink. Even if the two look to be in complete contact with each other, this will still help.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

I thought the heatsinks at TCSS fit really well. At least in my builds. Which application would this apply to ?
    like the others just above me here said. The imperfection are quite small that it couldn't be seen with the naked eye. Basically this compound is a better conductor of heat than the tiny air pockets. you are dealing with mass produced parts and they are going to have imperfections.

Heck even on the high end CPU heatsinks you see people lapping them all the time to get them really flat and of course still using a compound (arctic silver etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    like the others just above me here said. The imperfection are quite small that it couldn't be seen with the naked eye. Basically this compound is a better conductor of heat than the tiny air pockets. you are dealing with mass produced parts and they are going to have imperfections.

Heck even on the high end CPU heatsinks you see people lapping them all the time to get them really flat and of course still using a compound (arctic silver etc).
    I use Arctic Sliver on my LED mounts. I have plenty sitting around and it moves heat wonderfully. I am willing to bet that it is overkill for this application and its not exactly cheap stuff.

The white thermal grease Tim is selling should be plenty for LED to heat-sink bond and will probably increase the running life of an over-driven LED by a good amount of time.

I would use some variety of thermal grease when attaching LED's to heat-sinks its cheap and it works.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagahati View Post
    I use Arctic Sliver on my LED mounts. I have plenty sitting around and it moves heat wonderfully. I am willing to bet that it is overkill for this application and its not exactly cheap stuff.
    While Arctic Silver is great for CPUs, it is not the best for some Luxeon LEDs. This is because Arctic Silver is slightly capacitive and the Red and Red/Orange Luxeon LEDs are known to sometimes conduct through the metal sheet on the bottom of the PCB. Here's a quote from the official website for the product...

"Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
    (While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

I believe there is a thread on this very subject somewhere in the TCSS forum. I think it was Novastar that explained all of this in that thread.

That said, I use Arctic Alumina instead of Arctic Silver for my Luxeon LEDs, to avoid the possibility of the above mentioned issue.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I was not aware of an issue with the Lux III's until you said something about it.

My first saber (And so far the only completed) uses a K2, as such I had not read up much on the Lux III's.

I did know that Arctic Silver was conductive and that in tight areas can have a capacitance that could in theory cause problems. I only say in theory because I have never experienced any myself.

For these applications I don't think it matters a whole lot what type of thermal grease is used (except where conductivity or capacitance may cause problems). The temperatures at the rated wattage or even "Over-Driven" wattage should be manageable for short run times easily enough.

We aren't talking about taking a $500.00 CPU and seeing how far we can push it. Just a fancy $8.00 LED and some minor tweaking.

All in all though thermal grease is probably a very good idea for LED's. It certainly can't hurt and it may mean you get a lot more lifetime out of some of the "hotter" set-up people try.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

i was gonna ask this same question cuz im thinking of makeing a heatsink with a washer so this is good to know

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"