Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a crystal focus board to the v2 speaker mount?

Default Mounting a crystal focus board to the v2 speaker mount?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to mount a crystal focus board to a battery pack while using the speaker mount version 2? I was curious to know if it works, and what people think of the mounting system, before I invest in the pieces.

I also had a secondary question, has anyone ever placed hot glue over their solders (on a board) once they finished soldering? Does it help with preserving the connections?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I have used the mount you asked about o place a CF on top of a battery pack. It does fit inside the MHS system. It's compact.

As for your hot-glue question...ideally, it's not needed. If you're soldering correctly (pre-tin your pads and wires, use a clean iron that can get hot fast and briefly touch the hot iron to both your pad and wire), you should have a solder joint that is smooth, shiny and uniform. That's a strong connection and shouldn't go anywhere.

MR used hot glue on their boards, but they did it because, honestly their soldering was crap. Videos of the manufacturing plant in China showing the assembly show soldering irons that were very large (wattage wise), not very clean, and things were in a hurried state to get done. MR used the hot-glue as a stopgap measure to make up for the lackluster soldering that was done.

yup, it'll work great, just like Jon said and looks something like this:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yup I used it also, works good.

Jay,

Are you using a rechargeable on your light saber (which looks great by the way)?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Actually, there's a pair of them...those are the Li-Ion Trustfires that Tim sells in the store here.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Speaking of what Jon said about soldering, everyone new to soldering (or relatively inexperienced) should watch his video on basic soldering:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpb4NfiGLMk&fmt=18

The CF wiring guides can be accessed through there as well...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks Jay, Jon, Grayven and Novastar for all of your help and advice.

Novastar, I know how to solder, but I was curious after I took apart a saber that someone else made for me and I saw the hot glue over the solders. I thought it was a new protective measure actually -- I may be getting old, but I am at least old enough to know that I don't know it all.

Again, Thanks to everyone for your help.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Nah, it's cool. What Jon said is right re: MRFX stuff.

One way to look at it: if you hot glue... but then you ever want to UNDO that solder/wire or whatever... or if the wire STILL breaks... you might be up poopy-poop creek without a flippin' paddle.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is Sooooooooooooooo hard to take the hot glue off a sound board or speaker without ruining it!!! I recomend that you leave it alone unless absolutley necessary.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...