Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Design Idea for first MHS Saber

The general lengths of saber hilts have been taken from the length of the typical Katana handle, which is usually just under 12 inches. Thus most saber enthusiast regard anything over 12 inches as being to long. However it should be remembered that Miyamoto Musashi arguably the greatest swordsman of all time is known to have fought with handles between 13 and 15 inches long. It should also be noted that he created a style of swordsmanship which utilized both the long sword and companion sword simultaneously. So he was very capable of using his 13 to 15 inch grip one handed with devastating results. My point being, there is no “Right” size for a Saber handle. There is only what is right for you. If you like the look and feel of a longer handle, then go for it. Just remember that a longer handle may require some creative weighting strategies to make it a mobile as it’s smaller companions.

I'd say Jontus' saber design #2, just looks original.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Here, try this one out for size, it uses a custom 6" section. I was actually going to use this design at one point but then I just put it in the pile of other saber designs.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Sairon. I preferr a 11-12" hilt while my brother (who has the same build and hands as me) prefers a 6-7" hilt. It is entirely your choice!
    Don't let someone else tell you that a saber is too long and then change it. They simply feel it is to long for THEM. It is YOUR saber, make it how you want it.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Thats why there's MHS, so you can change it!
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Hasid's rendition is sweet. If you think the length or your original is too long just change out the 7" main body for a 4" extention and get a switch hole drilled under the store service option. It will still be long enough to contain your electronics. I like your original design quite a bit. Never was a fan of that blade holder until I bought one for the current hilt I'm working on. It really is quite cool and I personally wouldn't change the first saber design you presented.