Thread: A Padawan from New Zealand needs your help ....

Default A Padawan from New Zealand needs your help ....

Hi everyone
    Well, this is all kinda intimidating ..... I have never built a saber before, never ever thought of it to be honest, until I decided to go full Jedi for the movie premier next movie. In the process of getting my robes sewn, boots are ordered, still need to find leather for belt and pouches etc.
    Anyway, probably the most important part is of course my own saber. I have been in the builder for a few days and have settled on something I think can work? I'm guessing switches need to go over smooth sections of hilts and avoid the threads right? So, this is what I have come up with: SaberBuilder_render3.jpg

The switch is in the clear as best I can tell. I'm gonna use a 16mm AV switch. I'm wanting my saber to have convertec knob to connect to belt. So, whats the best place to have that? I'll likely add some grips to this too. Now, my main question is, the electronics .... I've looked over the manual for the nano biscotte and like it. I can get li-ion batteries here in New Zealand as I understand they will last longer in the saber. So, is it one battery needed or two? I'm looking at the Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module. What else will I need for the chassis to have a working saber? Also, what blade is best to get? My saber is more for show than battle but I still don't know what I need for that.

Basically, I wanting what I guess is a basic saber, working, in time for the premier but being a total noob don't know what I need.

Any help the Masters here can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums and hobby.

My first impression is that you will be hard pressed to get a chassis, battery and sound board in this hilt with the switch placement you have. It could be done but might be a bit difficult for a first go. I would suggest moving the switch up into the ribbed section. You could email the store and ask if they can do a recessed hole there for you. You may want to look into using the short 16mm AV.

You are correct about threads.

I would also suggest watching the basic saber tutorial videos in the video section of the forums. They'll give you some good ideas on figuring out your chassis set up. As a matter of fact, watch them all. They truly are invaluable.

The Nano takes one 3.7v Li-Ion.

Either the TCSS show blade or Corbin show blade will work.

The covertec can go anywhere you'd like as long as it doesn't interfere with the internals.

Don't forget, you'll need resistors for your switch led-if it has one- and your main LED(s).

One last thing, things are flying off the shelves faster every day the movie approaches. It would be wise to act quick. You'll rarely be able to order everything at once, so order as things become available. And mind the latest request about not asking for stock updates. Demand has been high and things will be restocked asap.

Good Luck!

Thanks Darth Chasim
    I'm an idiot, I had already watched the youtube vid dealing with the chassis that would work on this saber, duh me!! lol
    Also, after posting this, I saw someone elses saber with the AV switch up on the ribbed section so now I know that will work. Right, so gonna make an order now with the parts available to me.
    Thanks for the good info though.
    Oh, and the covertec, that can go thru threads as well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kila2000 View Post
    Oh, and the covertec, that can go thru threads as well?
    No problem. I would avoid putting anything through threads. Sorry I did say anywhere...just not there.

lol, thought so, all good anyway.
    By the way, a question on the blades, the complete ones, reading the reviews, they need to be cellophaned? Does that mean I can't just buy it, plug it in the saber and all is good?

The clear tubes will need some form of diffuser. The trans-white blades can be used without a diffuser, though adding diffuser material will improve their appearance.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!