Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Electroluminescent Sheet

Question Replacement Electroluminescent Sheet

Hello!

As a favor for a friend, I am repairing an older (i.e., non-warranty supported) Master Replicas Luke Skywalker Lightsaber Force FX Collectible (P/N SW-203S; SKU 36453 00050) that he purchased several years ago. The polypropylene blade snapped at the hilt during light handling (very light handling!) and the electroluminescent (EL) sheet became damaged. He attempted to have the Lightsaber repaired at Master Replicas when it was initially damaged, but he was informed that they no longer supported repair issues for that particular design. The product information on the EL sheet is as follows:

P/N: C5413YG
    DESC: LT SBR Green
    MFG: NOVATECH INC
    DOM: 0703 117203

The sheet is approximately 32-5/8” long by 3-5/16” wide and is green in color. I measured the output from the inverter that energizes the EL Sheet and it measures approximately 70 VAC. I would like to obtain a replacement El sheet, since the one I currently have has multiple delaminations of the phosphor coating which show up as dark splotches when energized. Can anyone help me track down a replacement sheet? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have re-engineered the Lightsaber so that the blade can be screwed on and off and the replacement EL sheet is the last item I need to complete the project. Please let me know. Thank you!

--Michael Petner

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I probably know more about EL than anyone else here, but I've never worked with EL sheet, only wire.

I have a couple of Parks Saber blades that use it, but I have more experience removing damaged EL sheets from other people's blades so that I can reuse the polycarbonate blade tube and put EL wire and a diffuser inside it.

Have you contacted beingseen.com? They used to sell kits to make EL sheet blades, but I don't think they do anymore.

What kind of connecting system if your re-engineered blade? Is it possible that you could replace it with EL wire? You'd need a separate diffuser inside that, too.

I doubt that Jeff Parks of Park Sabers would let you buy just a piece of EL sheet from him, or tell you where he gets it, but you never know.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did a quick google search and here's the shopping results I came up with...http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=4&ct=title

Hope it helps
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I am looking for some EL sheet myself. If I find it before you do, I will post it here.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I have fixed a few broken EL FX sabers by converting them to removeable wire blades. Wire blades tend to be a lot nicer.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think EL wire may work in my application. I may just use it. Thanks Tim.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Default Replacement Electroluminescent Sheet

Thanks Jedi-Loreen for the recommendation to contact BeingSeen.com. I contacted them over a month ago and was playing 'phone-tag' with one of the salesmen for a couple of weeks, but I never spoke to anyone in person. I am intrigued by your recommendation to use EL wire. Is it as bright as the EL sheet? Also, you asked about my re-engineering of my friend's saber: basically I machined two circular aluminum pieces for the inside of the saber and two circular aluminum pieces for the bottom of the polycarbonate tube. Each of the two pieces is separated from one another (concentrically) by a middle layer of epoxy filled with phenolic microballoons (i.e., an insulated region) which separates the two circuit paths (I hope you can follow this description). The center saber piece is tapped to accept a threaded screw and the center polycarbonate blade piece has a threaded screw. Consequently, you can screw the blade into the hilt to obtain your two (2) circuit paths. If you want, I'll supply pictures.

Do you think if I use the EL wire I'll need different circuitry in the saber? Let me know. Thanks!

-Mike

Jedi-Loreen: I posted a response to you on the Replacement Electroluminescent Sheet forum. -Mike Petner

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

You can use the same setup to power a wire blade. It will actually be brighter than a sheet setup if you build them the way we do.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, with the High Brightness wire in the Store, an EL wire blade will be brighter than the EL sheet.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!