Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to remove chrome finish from a brass sink tube?

Question What is the best way to remove chrome finish from a brass sink tube?

Ok, I'm getting ready to start on my first sink tube overlay and want to remove the chrome but don't want to damage the metal. I have a dremel and various types of sand paper, but before I go for broke I wanted to get some advice from people who have done it already. Thanks in advance!
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Sand it by hand. Start with heavy grit (60-100g) to get the bulk off, and gradually walk down to the smaller grits (600-1000g) to even out the finish.

Wrap the paper around the tube and use a twisting motion.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

That's how I've done it, but I made up a jig to spin it in my drill. Saved a lot of time.

Be sure to wear a really good dust mask and eye protection if you're sanding chrome. You really don't want chrome dust getting in your system. Wouldn't hurt to wear gloves too. Probably a good idea to do it outside too, if you can.

Question

Thanks for the info! Now for phase 2: should I sand then cut, or cut then sand? Also, what is the best cutting attachment to use? Just a standard cutting pad or one of the small high speed cutting head? My plan for doing it is to wrap the tube in masking tape then attach my cutting plan to the tape wrapped tube and use it for a guide to trace the cuts with my dremel. Sound ok? Also, has anyone used pvc to do overlays? If so, what gauge/size of pipe is best?

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

most of this has been posted before in other threads, but here we go

make your pattern on paper, transfer it to the tube with sharpie, tape along the part you want to keep, cut with a cutting wheel about 1/4 inch away from the finished lines, use sanding drum to get closer, then a hand file/hand sand for the rest, as far as removing the chrome, do it before you cut so its easier to spin in the paper
    Last edited by Tradeliphine; 05-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.

I <3 Mako

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would sand first, then cut. It's easier to sand a smooth tube, than one that has holes, slots or funky edges on them.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

IMHO.. I like to sand FIRST.. as trying to sand (spin) a sink tube that has cutouts/holes..etc catches the sand paper many times..etc.. so I always take a fresh sink tube..throw it in my drill.. and spin it with some various grit of sand paper in my hand wrapped around the pipe..

but I suppose whatever works best for you..

I normally wrap the enitre tube with tape as it makes a good base for tracing on your template and tape is cheap.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

meh its not that bad unless you are doing drastic shroud cuts, then sand it first, either way i updated my post

I <3 Mako

Talking

Thanks, folks! This helps a lot! I'm gonna score the rest of my supplies and hope to start on my prototype by next weekend. If it turns out ok, I'll post some pics. Thanks again!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ