Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some thing that would make this forum even better

Default Some thing that would make this forum even better

I was thinking (it's alright, that's the burning smell you smell) about a couple of things that would streamline and/or spruce up the place.

-Put a Sticky on the top of every forum that links to the Thread Index and FAQ. It should read something like “Check here before posting questions” That way people have less of an excuse when posting the usual questions.

-Avatars! I love avatars! I think an avatar, under to your name, would be a better option than having large photos in you sig, and it would change retroactively like your post count.

And also for that box…
    -Member since date (so you don’t have to look at the profile)
    -Member #, if possible. (I don’t know if this is something that should have been done from the start.)

-Quick reply. Having a little box at the bottom of the topic that you can reply from, rather than going to a new address would speed things up a little.

-Retroactive sig lines.

And….

I really hate to mention this…

Because it could backfire on me, and it would greatly affect my social status here. And a lot of other people here.

xwing knows what I’m talking about!

I can’t say it! I don’t want to say it!

OK fine! A “General Chit Chat” forum were ALMOST anything goes and…

<font size="1">No post count.</font id="size1">

AAAHHH!!!! There! I said it! <font color="red"><font size="4">Damn me to Hell!</font id="size4"></font id="red">

I don’t know if all this is possible. I, and I’m sure many other people on here, have seen some of this stuff on other forums, and it seems to work well. It seems to bring a more professional look and feel to the place. NOT that I’m bashing this forum IN ANY WAY! This is the only reason I'm online any more!lol These are just some things that I have seen, and liked on other forums.

Take it or leave it… That’s my thoughts.

And I’m sure I’ll think of more as soon as I post this.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

"-Put a Sticky on the top of every forum that links to the Thread Index and FAQ. It should read something like “Check here before posting questions” That way people have less of an excuse when posting the usual questions."

The people that don't bother to check them to will continue to not do so... look at the gallery it says in the description to not post comments in the picture threads. there is a topic that says "READ ME BEFORE POSTING!" ...yet I've still had to delete half a dozen posts and I believe Tim has deleted some too.

"-Avatars! I love avatars! I think an avatar, under to your name, would be a better option than having large photos in you sig, and it would change retroactively like your post count. "

I too like avatars. That's Tim's area and it may not be possible with the board software or he doesn't want to commit the storage and bandwidth.

"And also for that box…
    -Member since date (so you don’t have to look at the profile)
    -Member #, if possible. (I don’t know if this is something that should have been done from the start.)"

I'm not sure of the merits of a "member since" line because if your a newb we'll be able to tell.[]

"-Quick reply. Having a little box at the bottom of the topic that you can reply from, rather than going to a new address would speed things up a little."

That's such a postwhores suggestion... I have been to a few forums and don't understand the point of that. What I would like is a warning if new posts have been made since reading. That'd stop getting duplicate answers posted minutes within each other because one types faster than the other.

"-Retroactive sig lines."

Again Tim's realm.

"OK fine! A “General Chit Chat” forum were ALMOST anything goes and… No post count."

We could turn Misc into a non-post increasing area. There is that option... not sure if it'd be retroactivly. I am tired of building threads in misc, but ehh.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

The people that don't bother to check them to will continue to not do so... look at the gallery it says in the description to not post comments in the picture threads. there is a topic that says "READ ME BEFORE POSTING!" ...yet I've still had to delete half a dozen posts and I believe Tim has deleted some too.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The more we put it in front of them the more likely they are going to see and use it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...That'd stop getting duplicate answers posted minutes within each other because one types faster than the other.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's such a slow typer's reply! lol

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We could turn Misc into a non-post increasing area.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And thus it backfires!

FAQ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Firebird21

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...That'd stop getting duplicate answers posted minutes within each other because one types faster than the other.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's such a slow typer's reply! lol

[quote]We could turn Misc into a non-post increasing area.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And thus it backfires!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[], that is all.

</center>

xwing...

The "Quote" button is your friend![]

FAQ

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That would be too easy...

</center>

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

"-Retroactive sig lines." ???

You want it to update all previous posts if you change your sig?

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

"-Retroactive sig lines." ???

You want it to update all previous posts if you change your sig?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes...

I know that would be a knightmare with the currant sig put into the body of the text, but it would opporate the same as the box to the left with your name in it. Just that it would be Under the body of the post.

FAQ

I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. method. Forum works good as it is and every once in a while we get double answers because of my slow-a typing but or whatever but this works. Simple is nice every now and then[] The sigs are cool like they are because you can always expect xwing to come up with something new every time he get's bored with the one he's got so there is great xing logos of all kinds all over the place. I like the little titles under the names and I wouldn't really want to lose those to little pics. I must admit that I enjoy the fact that I was able to contribute by coming up with the firebird jester thing and as the people that have been on here come up with nicknames or whatever they could be subsituted for the standard titles.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

I am with you on that one James if something works well then don't try to fix it. I really like the way things work now.

Do-Clo
    Don't make me destroy you...

The Brotherhood of the Sith