Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro Obi Wan question

Default Hasbro Obi Wan question

Hey All,
    I bought one of the first Hasbro Obi-Wans back in November and within a couple days I got a dark band of unlit leds in the second quarter of the blade. Does anyone have any experience with repairing existing LED blades (I assume its a bad solder joint or a loose wiring harness). I have done a couple LUX conversions (Mace, Luke ANH), so I'm not afraid to open it up, just want to know if its worth the risk/time. If it can't be repaired I may just convert it to a LUX3.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Convert it! And slap a P4 blue in there instead of the Lux III, you'll be happier with the result.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Matokosai does an REALLY good job making a different string of LEDs. He has guides up somewhere...
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

Here is the link to the DIY Makoto Style blades done by eastern57

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13487.0

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I just converted one in 45 minutes tonight. It is VERY easy and only would have taken me 20 min if I didn't build a custom heatsink. I guess what I am saying is "Just Convert It!"
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I think I will just convert it when the Hasbro conversion kit becomes available. I did try to disassemble it using Ultra's DIY instructions and just could not get the emitter to turn. I used a heat gun to try to melt the glue joint - wouldn't budge. It did make all the leds light, though.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hongaku View Post
    I think I will just convert it when the Hasbro conversion kit becomes available. I did try to disassemble it using Ultra's DIY instructions and just could not get the emitter to turn. I used a heat gun to try to melt the glue joint - wouldn't budge. It did make all the leds light, though.
    All you need to do is remove the box, desolder the switch, shove the wires down into the hilt and slide the entire guts out. easy peasy.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

Cool beans! That sounds much easier than the older Obi-Wan. I'll be gutting it shortly!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Good luck! Yes, it is much easier.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Kits will be available next week.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop