Thread: Luke EP VI Conversion help needed

Default Luke EP VI Conversion help needed

Hi guys, I am new to the scene, but an experienced Electronics/computer/modding tech, and have converted the MR dual Maul already, and a Hasbro Obi for a friend.
    I want to convert the Luke ROTJ to a Lux V green, using the original MR board and battery pack.
    1st, is this possible? I have read other threads in the tutorials and they seem to indicate that 9 volts (supplied by the 6AA pack) is too much for the board... (WTF?) and that the full 9 volts is required to run the Lux V.
    So I am assuming that a regulator is used on the board to control the voltage.... I am a little confused by the info on this.....

and 2nd, Do I need to use a resistor between the board and the LED? Of course if I have to wire the LED straight to the battery pack, (due to the assumed regulator) then do I need the resistor between the pack and the LED?

Any advice is appreciated.
    DJW

No, you cannot run a Lux V driectly from the MR board. That battery pack in those sabers does not produce 9 volts, either. It is wired for a 3+3 in parallel to produce 4.5 volts with an extended run time.

If you used a Luxeon III or a P4 from the store, you can simply wire it directly to the led string outputs like shown in the tutorial here without a resistor.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Hi, Jaygon.
    Yes I have done that with the aforementioned Maul and Obi.

Well I ordered a Lux V already from this site. And have it waiting. So what would be the best way to do things without spending more money on Sound boards and the like.

I am prepared to go the whole hog if I have to but that would involve money I don't have available currently

I just want the Luke ROTJ to be DAMN BRIGHT lol
    regards
    DJW

I could feasibly rewire the battery pack to produce 9 volts (although this may be difficult), and then setup a resistor or regulator to maintain the voltage for the board. If I did this, would it be ok to direct connect the Lux V to the battery pack? or would I need a resistor?

I know..... I would lose the run time, but hey experimentation is what this hobby is all about yes?

I suppose you could do that, but really, the green P4 is nearly as bright as the Lux V. you can use a voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to the sound board, but to do that, you'd also have to use a different switch, a DPDT, and wire the led and soundboard in two seperate circuits. More trouble than it's worth IMO. I'd save the lux V for another project and get a green P4 for the Luke.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I see the wisdom in your comments, Master.
    I have no problem with adding wiring and switch to suit but tearing the batt pack apart is not my first choice.
    I will follow your wisdom and order a P4.

Many thanks Jay-Gon
    DJW

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJediWannabe View Post
    I just want the Luke ROTJ to be DAMN BRIGHT lol
    DJW
    i just converted my ROTJ Luke about a week ago and i used a luxIII green and with half flat AAs so fully charged would be better but if u want bright go with a P4 green thay are said to be on par with a k2 green

i waited 4 years to converet my Luke ROTJ and man oh man am i happy with the brightness

that being said i still think the luxIII green will be more then bright enough i feel but what ever u end up doing i hope u are happy with the end result