Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coupling for a double bladed lightsaber

Ok, I'm a nineteen year old new member, and I think I know what I'm going to do: the converta chuck mechanism was most promising, so I'll try to get just the mechanism directly from the manufacturer without the chucks or chain. This setup has been proven the toughest in demonstrations, so I'll try this first. Next up is the Bayonet mount. While I'm not convinced they are the sturdiest, a well-built pair may last longer in rough combat than my third choice, the quick-connect couplers found in hardware stores. Also, the bayonet mounts do not require you to shift your hand positions, so you can take it apart and put it together in battle quickly, and easily, at the cost of less durability than the converta-chuck setup. Finally, the quick-connect couplers used in pipes and pneumatic tools are my last choice for this task, but I believe they will do in a pinch. That is all I have to share on my opinions of which connective mechanism is the best overall.

P.S. here is the PDF version of what a patent website had on the layout and construction of the converta chucks, but ONLY IF YOU ARE MAKING THE SETUP FOR YOURSELF, NOT FOR PROFIT. otherwise you would be responsible for patent infringement. I cannot be held liable if you try to produce these commercially and they come after you. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4132408.pdf

double P.S. I also found more information on wikipedia regarding the bayonet mount to ensure it does not come apart in battle:

Sithknight
    Last edited by Sithknight01; 10-14-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: adding PDF from patent website showing blueprint for converta chucks

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    This is a martial art weapon known as the nunchaku (some call them nunchucks or numchucks). There is a metal version of this weapon called converta chucks (convertachucks, convertachuck, converta chuck, convert-a-chucks, etc) that basically transforms a baton/fighting stick into nunchaku.

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action...ct_id/6408.htm

The mechanism for this can be used to seperate a lightsaber staff into two lightsabers. You would only need to remove and discard the chain and the swivels from the mechanism once seperated form the baton/nunchaku housing, leaving only the two parts that thread together. You could then mount those parts into the bottom of two hilts and screw them together.

A person who goes by the name of HapaJedi on the theforce.net's Fan Film forum has made a lightsaber prop using the mechanism from the converta chucks (only he kept the chain) for a fan film long in the making called "The Seven Jedi". Below is a pic of it.

Even though the parts that connect together are aluminum, HapaJedi has told me that the connection is strong and has held up with their sparring so far.
    Where do you find the coupling itself, if you don't want to buy the chuck, but the coupling itself? What company or patent supplies these couplings to the weapon's makers?

As far as I know, you cannot buy the convert-a-chuck coupler by itself. You have to buy the whole thing and remove the coupler mechanism... which is what Hapajedi did.

I once owned a pair of these about 18 years ago. I modified mine to be a staff that seperated in the center (no chain). However I found the chuck material (thin aluminum if I remember right) and the coupler to not be strong enough to take the beating I was giving it. Hapajedi says his was taking a beating just fine so either he got a different make/model than what I owned, they are made better nowadays or he isn't hitting them as hard against solid objects as I did.

Anywho, if you have the proper diameter of solid aluminum, a drill press with vice (or a lathe) and a tap, you could make something like this yourself using a bolt/threaded rod. Also, if you have a mill, you can mount a steel nut in one half of the coupler instead of threading a hole in the aluminum. I did this recently using Corbin's coupler mechanism concept. The hardest part is lining up the holes dead center and to be honest, I had to use my lathe to correct that. I knew that going into it though and thus planned that into the build.

This is basically the converta chuck method combined with Corbin's. However Tim has hinted at a possible MHS coupler system for the TCSS store. You may want to wait and see how that develops.
    Last edited by ARKM; 11-04-2010 at 12:01 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Can you send me blueprints on how to make this coupler or a step-by-step guide on how you made it?

The blueprints I made for it are more of a semi cut-a-way version of the two pieces coupled together, inside of the hilts and do not show all of the details. They would be of no use to you as is unless you already know what it's supposed to look like inside your head. It's a really simple concept though. It's just a round rod that slides into a round tube that slides into another round tube. The innermost rod (the piece with the smallest O.D.) has to have a larger O.D. at the end that is ALWAYS inside the handle (which you do not see in my pics) to fit snugly inside of said handle/hilt. I made the larger O.D. part, 3/4" long.

You will need a metalworking lathe to make the coupler as well as normal turning tools and a boring bar tool for said lathe. If you plan on using a threaded rod like I did, you will also need a drill press (or mill) and if you want to embed a nut into the rod, you will need a mill. You then of course need the proper tap for threading the hole that the threaded rod will go into. There is also tricks to centering the nut and bolt in the pieces they go into and I had to figure those out as I made them. If you have any more questions, there is link in my profile to send me an email. Since Tim is eventually coming out with an MHS staff coupler, I'd prefer not to offer any further assistance on his forum on how to make them. Bad form and all that.
    Last edited by ARKM; 01-27-2011 at 01:19 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Ops ... I didn't think that my thread was continued like that.
    Whatever, I found a solution to the coupling-problem:

JQ made this coupling for me but I'm still not completely satisfied. Here you can see what I mean. Watch this from around 5:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHTCtdqXqW4

The problem is, that I have to remove the screw and put them into the pocket so I won't lose it. My plan is to replace the screw with a kind of pushbutton which works with a screw. Still other ideas?

Is there any conceivable way for you to mount some sort or button latch to that? The same kind that one might use on an easy-to-assemble camping canopy?
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

I was thinking the same thing on these too, Doc. There has got to be a ball latch out there that can be mounted in some way. Should work well enough with 2 180◦ apart as long as the peices are in close tolerance.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I love this idea, Mostly because I recently had the idea myself I was sure I wouldnt be the only person who though of it, If I'm honest I have a limited knowledge of actually making sabers as I'm still only designing them, But the quick disconnect idea would in my opinion be an I deal SITH strategy in battle, that was my planned use, when fighting two opponents and duel weilding it is often hard to provide adequate force behind both blades, surely being able to combine them quickly to hold off a two pronged attack is a perfect Idea providing the release mechanism is up to scratch