Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coupling for a double bladed lightsaber

Default Coupling for a double bladed lightsaber

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a coupling to seperate a double bladed lightsaber into two single lightsabers and the way round. My criterias are, that I can do this in one or two seconds (after practicing it of course) and that the saber with this coupling is fit for action because I need it for performance on stage.
    I have already seen the coupling from the curved double lightsaber (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7409) but I'm skeptic concerning its fitness for fighting.
    Do you have an idea concerning a coupling? Until now I had this one but I don't know whether it is realizable. http://www.saberproject.de/other/ber...n/Coupling.wmv

Thank you for you help.

Greetings from Germany

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the forums Bertuzzi.

What your coupler will be depends on what type of hilt you use.
    for sinktube-
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...?t=7262&page=2

you could use magnets as well if you aren't planning on using electronics-
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=1896

There are several others threads that talk about couplers but it a general consensus that the threaded coupler that is sold a the TCSS store is the sturdiest.

Hope this helps
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Thanks for this reply.
    I can not use magnet because I want to install soundboards
    The question is not whether it is possible to seperate the sabers but in a time of one or two second. Because of that I already wrote to Ryan Wieber who did that in RvD and RvD2. Result: I was tricked by his awesome skilles with After Effects
    With the connector you recommended, I would need to long to saperate the sabers and I had to screw a Pommel at the bottoms before I'm ready to fight.
    What about my idea, is it possible to realize it?

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What you are wanting to make is called a "bayonet mount" that is what ryann uses in "ryann vs. Brandon". He custon machined his.

The only way you could get one on a saber is to custom machine one. They are very sturdy and will withstand some serious dueling.

I don't know if you are planning on using MHS, but if you are this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPpiAJeaXI is a great way for a quick connect/disconnect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Ryan did not use such a coupling, it was a visual effect. He told me that
    And this bayonet coupling has already been used (first link in mein starting post) but I don't think, that it's fit for dueling.

This is a martial art weapon known as the nunchaku (some call them nunchucks or numchucks). There is a metal version of this weapon called converta chucks (convertachucks, convertachuck, converta chuck, convert-a-chucks, etc) that basically transforms a baton/fighting stick into nunchaku.

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action...ct_id/6408.htm

The mechanism for this can be used to seperate a lightsaber staff into two lightsabers. You would only need to remove and discard the chain and the swivels from the mechanism once seperated form the baton/nunchaku housing, leaving only the two parts that thread together. You could then mount those parts into the bottom of two hilts and screw them together.

A person who goes by the name of HapaJedi on the theforce.net's Fan Film forum has made a lightsaber prop using the mechanism from the converta chucks (only he kept the chain) for a fan film long in the making called "The Seven Jedi". Below is a pic of it.

Even though the parts that connect together are aluminum, HapaJedi has told me that the connection is strong and has held up with their sparring so far.
    Last edited by ARKM; 07-26-2010 at 06:07 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

maybe you could try a coupling similar to those used on pneumatic tools

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    Ryan did not use such a coupling, it was a visual effect. He told me that
    And this bayonet coupling has already been used (first link in mein starting post) but I don't think, that it's fit for dueling.
    You don't think that a bayonet mount would be sturdy enough to fight with? You do know what they were originally used for, right? I'll give you a hint... it starts with a B... Just teasing.

As for the video you posted, trust me, that will never hold up to any serious abuse. They use that kind of adjustment on canes and crutches, and they wear down pretty easily. They are decent when the pressure is being applied straight down the length of the shaft, but if they take even a slight hit from another angle they can pop right open. Edit: And also, if you bump that little button while fighting, you could put someone's eye out.

I can't tell from the photo what exactly holds those nunchaku together when they are in stick form. It seems questionable to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I know more about them.

Tim held a design contest a while back to try to come up with a good quick release for double sabers that would be identical on both ends. I submitted several ideas based on bayonet mounts, but the major problem is that they are just plain ugly. In fact, most quick connects of any type are fairly ugly things.

Corbin's idea is solid if not terribly aesthetic. If you must have a saber that you can break down during a duel, you should go with a design similar to his. However, I think you would be making a big sacrifice in the look of your saber just so you can pull off one useless trick move just for show. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    I can't tell from the photo what exactly holds those nunchaku together when they are in stick form. It seems questionable to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I know more about them.
    I have owned a pair of converta chucks before. The part on the left is threaded. The pic is too low rez to see it but the threads are largish and it takes very little turning to seperate. What looks like a flange on the end where the swivel comes out from it is actually a thread.

It's been too many years (early 90's) since I owned a pair and can no longer remember how strong the connecting pieces were but Hapa says they are working out pretty good for him when in lightsaber staff mode.

Personally, if it were for a fan film, I would have two versions, one that seperates and one that does not. I believe Hapa stated that he also has a version that does not seperate.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Not to mention that that "trick move" isn't G-canon anyway...Maul didnt Quick Detach his saberstaff in two it was CUT in half by Obi.

That said the Corbin system looks interesting...if he ever puts them in production I'll want one...but I think the normal screw together 'double male' couplers like the excellent crystal chamber coupler sold here in the TCSS store...while not 'instant'...are entirely practical and would be even if sabers were real.

Afterall can one imagine any TACTICAL scenario that would REQUIRE an INSTANT change from double swords to staff or vice versa? Show me a case where any soldier in any battle in History died because they couldnt shorten/lengthen their pike or spear or quarterstaff into shorter or longer lengths quickly enough eh?

More pointedly if one was MID BATTLE and suddenly started 'fiddling' with one's weapons to either connect or disconnect them...even if it only took a couple seconds...in those couple seconds such a fool would SURELY be killed by an opponent who wouldnt hold back their blows while the saber was assembled or dissassembled in 2 seconds with a QD coupler anymore than they would hold back their blows for a half minute while it was unscrewed.