Thread: Filling "cracks" in aluminum

Default Filling "cracks" in aluminum

I have a piece of curved aluminum epoxied to another curved piece of aluminum. I did not set the top piece on properly and there is a noticable gap or "crack" if you will, between the pieces in a couple of places. The epoxy (JB Weld) has already set and I don't wish to make the pieces again from scratch. That said, is there anything I can use to fill the gap that would look good? Any help would be appreciated.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

more J-B, just prep the surface so it can get a bite, simple.

Remember that it is workable like Bondo.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Yeah but I need it to be the same color and reflectivity of the unpolished aluminum... if such a filler exists. It can be shinier I suppose. The parts won't be painted and have to look somewhat pretty (it's for a saber hilt).

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Picture please.?
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

By your picture it looks like the curve(to shallow) is not correct on the attached piece, only thing is to try getting the piece off, a good placed chisel and a wack should separate the pieces and jusat clean it up and make the curve the right depth. I know this may sound dumb, but dry fit the piece several times and take into account the JB thickness.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

My suggestion is to use acetone to dissolve the JB Weld; clean the parts; cut/file/sand the parts so they fit properly; re-join the parts.

That probably sounds like a lot of work, and it might be, but getting parts to fit right makes a nicer looking finished piece. One of my building practices - whether it's plastic models, gold & silver pieces, or sabers - is test fit everything before you put it together, especially if it's got custom parts. Just my $.02 of OCD.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

The piece was test fitted before hand but I glued it on at apparently a slight angle. While the curve wasn't perfect it would have looked better had it not been glued on at a slight angle.

If I can seperate the two pieces, I will be replacing the top rectangular piece with a new one. I can't soak the parts in acetone as the rest of the saber (that you can't see) has permanently attached parts (also using JB Weld) that are also painted. However I can mount the hilt in a vise and use a dropper to get acetone only where I want it to go.

Kal, I don't want to try a chisel as I will probably mess up and score the hilt.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can do. This hilt has given me nothing but trouble on several parts and it's getting me frustrated.
    Last edited by ARKM; 04-26-2009 at 05:29 PM.

ARKM,

As SL stated using acetone should soften it up, JB is just a metal powder within the mixture of the epoxy mix.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)