Thread: Fender guitars and basses.

Default Fender guitars and basses.

Ok, so I've been playing bass for about 8 years now. I bought a Mexican Fender P-bass in 2002 or 3 for $400. I know fender's prices have been steadily increasing for the last decade or so, but a Mexican fender bass is now $620!!!!! I bought a Jaguar bass 2 years ago for $650-700, they are now $940!!!!!! The Mark Hoppus sig was $490 when it came out back in like '01, it is now $940. What the hell's happening over there?? I mean, its good for my pocketbook because I'm now definitely not buying a new fender anytime soon, but there are kids out there who want a fender for their first or second (I did) and Fender is losing that market by pricing these so outrageously high. Anyone have anything to say about this? I know there are a few players on here.
    Alderaan shot first.

Being a bassist myself I would have to say they are going about selling stuff the wrong way, with other companies out making basses Fender should lower it's prices. Then they would get more money due to more people buying basses.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

You do realize you are not paying that much for the guitar right? The guitar is cheap. What you are paying for is the Fender logos on it.

I don't know man...I play G&L...my 5 string cost me $1800.00 and my custom 4 string cost over $2000.00...and that was about 4 and 5 years ago...

KI-ADI-MUNDI on FX-SABERS.com

I always wanted to learn to play the bass. I had a Fender fretless a friend let me borrow, but when he moved, it went with him.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

I just picked up a Fender bass myself.

(I'm kidding! I know it's not real! Don't hurt me plzkthxbaiurcommand!)

Quote Originally Posted by acerocket View Post
    You do realize you are not paying that much for the guitar right? The guitar is cheap. What you are paying for is the Fender logos on it.
    Yes, I know that. But I still can't see why the prices are increasing by like 30% in a month's time. The only thing I can think of for the Mark Hoppus bass is that Blink-182 has come out of their hiatus so people are probably buying them up, but that doesn't necessarily explain ALL of fender's products increasing in price.
    Alderaan shot first.

The American Series Strat is about the same price as a Les Paul now. To say they started off as a po' working man's guitar, they're getting a bit steep.

On the other hand, I managed to grab a signed Fender Seymour Duncan Esquire for about £900 second hand. You've just got to know where to look

wow a bolt on as expensive as aset neck. I guess it doesnt matter much as gibson are pretty over priced too.

Gretsch all day long..... even though theyre licensed by Fender now
    Igot my 6120 in 2002 for 1800 and it blue books for 4200!
    who come s up with these MSRP when they can sell for so much less
    when you know where to look
    Last edited by sithlordfaust; 04-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordfaust View Post
    Gretsch all day long..... even though theyre licensed by Fender now
    Trivia fact of the day...the Fender Telecaster was originally called the Broadcaster. Fender stopped using the Broadcaster name after Gretsch, who sold a drumkit called Broadkaster, sent them a C&D.