Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pommel Symbol

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    Bad analogy. It is perfectly legal to make and sell most of the original trilogy lightsaber props such as Graflex sabers as they are a conglomeration of real world parts from various companies and thus the design of all those parts when assembled cannot be copywrited. However you cannot legally call them "lightsabers" when selling them.

The part that might not be legal (haven't looked into it and don't plan to because I really don't care) is the manufacture and sale of replica parts such as the Graflex and Heiland parts, the Obi-Wan pommel (etc.) without some sort of contract with the owners of said copyrights (assuming those rights are not currently public domain). Of course since the Obi-Wan pommel replicas cannot currently be used as faucet handles without modification, they are probably not violating any copyrights.

You get the jist of it though.....
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

If TCSS ever decides to use another 'real world' symbol on a MPS pommel insert I hope they would consider this one:

http://www.compliancesigns.com/media...SYM_11_150.gif

it's the symbol used inside the 'laser warning' triangles...since we occasionally hear it said that Lux sabers can be considered classified as Class II lasers then having that symbol in a MPS pommel might somehow be quite appropriate eh?

I don't know if its 'copyrighted' but even if it is since it is the international standard warning symbol for use on laser devices then TCSS selling parts with it for use on laser-classified saber replicas would probably constitute the intended 'fair use'?

I think it would look cool as an engraving...I think it could be even cooler as a speaker grill if its not too intricate to cut.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 05-01-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    If TCSS ever decides to use another 'real world' symbol on a MPS pommel insert I hope they would consider this one:

http://www.compliancesigns.com/media...SYM_11_150.gif

it's the symbol used inside the 'laser warning' triangles...since we occasionally hear it said that Lux sabers can be considered classified as Class II lasers then having that symbol in a MPS pommel might somehow be quite appropriate eh?

I don't know if its 'copyrighted' but even if it is since it is the international standard warning symbol for use on laser devices then TCSS selling parts with it for use on laser-classified saber replicas would probably constitute the intended 'fair use'?

I think it would look cool as an engraving...I think it could be even cooler as a speaker grill if its not too intricate to cut.
    I concur, that would look great either engraved or cut out!

I'm 99% sure that warning symbols like that can be used freely - Fighting Piranha Graphics, who make decals for Classic BattleTech miniatures, use various symbols in their warning graphics (look here, at the top of the middle column). So I don't think something like that would prove an issue.

Just realized, the Omega symbol would be pretty sweet on the pommel of a saber!

I like the laser warning sign, but you could theoretically do any hazard signs, though I was thinking either the pagan 'power of three' ring, or the classic RED RING OF DEATH that you could accent! I'd so want that for my mate's saber as he's a huge gamer!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?