Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How old is old enough...

Default How old is old enough...

For Star Wars!

This mom would like to know...(and IMO deserves a slap with a giant trout!)

So I guess the obvious question is how old were all of you when you saw star wars?

I'll start. I was born in 1983 so my first star wars film, not that i remember it, was return of the jedi. I wasn't even 2 years old yet, but my father and my aunt took me to see it. I'm pretty sure there was some sort of subconscious mojo at work there really is no other way to explain my love of these movies.

I didn't see the other two movies till I was 5, they were playing in a third-run dollar theater in a small town near where i lived, my aunt took me and my 3 year old sister (who slept the whole time) to see them. I have fond memories of those days. I even had a cool little toy sword...I think it said star wars on the black paper handle...it glowed in the dark, i miss that sword.

Well...what about the rest of you?

ps:
    A few of you know that my wife and I are expecting our first child in September. I plan on showing star wars to my son/daughter (we find out on May 8th) as soon as they take an interest in one of the many (many) toy and prop lightsabers littering the landscape that is our home. My guess is it'll probably be around the time the kid is 3-5 years old...a long time to wait, but it'll be so worth it.
    Last edited by tullfan81; 04-21-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added postscript

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." - Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think I was about 3 or 4 when I saw a new hope...I was born in 1988. I would say have them watch it as soon as they can sit an watch a movie, as your father did to you!
    “What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

If you ask my 3 year old daughter to sing any given theme, she can do it in it's entirety. Luke's theme, Leia's theme, the Emperor song, the cantina song, the Star Wars theme song, the "medal ceremony" song.... She knows who uncle Owen and aunt Beru are. Best part is she picked it all up on her own just by watching.

I was born in 1979 and my parents took me to all three films in 1983 when Jedi came out.

I don't think seeing them at 4 years old scarred me in any way like that article kind of suggests...I didn't really remember a whole lot from the movies anyway, what do you really remember from when you were 4 years old, ya know. Compared to other films that are out there, the violence in Star Wars is pretty tame, I know people lose limbs and stuff but there's no gore, no blood (everything's cauterized right away) no cursing, and I'd agree with the one guy on the blog from that article by saying that the films are pretty campy by today's standards. I think people have a tendency to overreact to these types of situations...

AND, there's also the hunk of junk called the Special Edition which makes Greedo shoot first so Han doesn't seem like a space pirate who does illegal things for bad people, oh wait...

Plus, there's all sorts of fun things in that version for the kids, like the little aliens running around Mos Eisley getting hit by cars...yeah, brilliant, that's what the original film was missing.

I do remember that when I got suspended from 2nd grade in Catholic School my punishment was that I couldn't watch Return of the Jedi when it debuted on TV...man did I piss and moan about that all day and night.

I got suspended because me and some other kids stole the teacher's grab bag of gifts from the teacher's lounge...haha...I hated Catholic School.
    Want a cookie? Join the Dark Side.

Is funny because you are prisoner and there is no pool cuz this is Death Star. - FG Blue Harvest

U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Start

ive been watching star wars since i can remember. i was born in 1991. me and an old friend that i used to have when i was little would always play star wars and talked about it. so ive grow up always having star wars.

I just hate it when parents keep kids from watching something. Thats why they grow up with a complex cause mothers kept the bad things from them.

Liek the one said they ahd to turn off finding nemo cause his mother died or whatever. When I was a kid I cryed when the one died in the lion king.

How about bambie? I never watched it but whos kids cryed to bambie? Its simple, there will be sad parts to a movie, just cause your kid starts to tear up a bit dosent mean you have to shield them from that experiance. Doing so would cause some complexes in life like mass murder and the sort.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStar View Post
    If you ask my 3 year old daughter to sing any given theme, she can do it in it's entirety. Luke's theme, Leia's theme, the Emperor song, the cantina song, the Star Wars theme song, the "medal ceremony" song.... She knows who uncle Owen and aunt Beru are. Best part is she picked it all up on her own just by watching.
    She may have a very very excellent ear for music. John Williams' music is brilliant... but... a 3-year old enjoying it and "knowing the difference" that well?! Hmm. Keep an eye on that, you must.

An ear, I guess.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I was 15 when I saw Star Wars on opening night in 1977.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

I first saw return of the jedi somewhere between 3 and 10. Hard to say exactly. I am sure I was pretty young the first time. My parents had a vhs copy recorded from when it was on TV. I bought a new hope when they made the remastered versions. That was the first time I had seen it. I am sure I saw empire strikes back some where on TV in there. Then I saw all three in big screen awesomeness when the special edition came out in 1997. I was in middle school at that point.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I was 1 year old when I first saw a new hope. It is one of my earliest memories, and my mother says I became obsessed even then. Iwas 3 when I got my first lightsaber

32 years later, I just build my own lightsabers. and still get goosebumps when that fanfare hits.