Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 'First Saber' (Currently unnamed)

Default Another 'First Saber' (Currently unnamed)

Yet another "My First Saber" post. I'd use its name, but the thing doesn't have one yet. Coincidentally this is my first post, so yay me. Hello all.

Three Brass Sink Pipes
    One PVC Sink Pipe
    Seoul P4 Blue
    1000mA Buckpuck
    No sound
    Vandal Resistant Switch

(all images cropped, then resized to 800 x something, should be in compliance with the rules)

More photos (taken with a cameraphone) available in the Flickr set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/toukeji...7613127470717/

I started this project after finals last December and only just finished this week (took forever for there to be a Saturday that was both warm enough to paint yet not raining). At least, I finished it as much as one's first saber can be finished. I lack the skill to really make it perfect, so maybe one day I'll revisit the design and make a version 2.0.

I spent four years practicing Iaido before grad school (one of the Japanese sword arts, specifically one that uses actual swords), so I wanted to create a lightsaber that could be wielded similarly. A high grip and a couple of angles were my only starting points, everything else just kinda happened. Special thanks to Gundam for the inspiration link, and to everyone in the forum.

It's still unnamed (I really stink at such things), so any suggestions would be welcome. I'm kinda going for a cold justice theme, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Toukejin; 04-18-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed image links

For a first saber, I'd call that a home run. Very nice design, and nice execution. Good visual balance and use of angles, curves and lines. Good job.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice work.

Good looking saber.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Congratulations on a nice saber, and an excellent first post!
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Very nice use of pvc and sinktube pieces! I see a little bit of Obi-Wan's Ep. I lightsaber in this one's design. Looks good!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

very nice first man, I cant wait to see your next. Add to that the fact that you obviously read around TONS, searched TONS, and managed to make that nice saber on your own using what you LEARNED here before even posting!! You are an example to the people who have hundreds of posts and still no scratch built sabers built.

I <3 Mako

*blush* Thanks.

Seriously, that really is a gorgeous hilt you've constructed. If I were you I wouldn't do another thing to it.

Really top-end work Toukejin. It looks really comfortable to hold too.
    Do you have ideas for the next one yet?
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

To quote Randy Jackson,"We got a hot one over here!!!!!!!" Yo Dog that is da bomb!

Seriously, I wish all new guys took your approach...wait, that is what I did too.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!