Thread: Tcss diffuser with thin walled poly?

Question Tcss diffuser with thin walled poly?

I've been wondering about this. Anyone tried it or know if it'll even work? I've only used pre-built blades and noticed that the tcss battle blade uses it with a thick walled poly. Would the thin walled be brighter? I've only used the film before and have never been completely happy with it. Would like it to be brighter and with a more defined core. I'm in the market for a new blade and am wondering if I should try making my own.
    "You've failed, Your Highness. I am a JEDI, like my father before me..."

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Corbin film will work fine in a thin walled blade. Using the TCSS nylon diffuser will not.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

due to the diffuser being made to fit inside the thickwall, it wont be big enough fit properly inside the thinwall. it would be all loose and rattle around inside

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never had one of the tcss diffusers in hand before and didn't know what the difference was in diameter. Never hurts to ask, though. Thanks.

Hey, just had an idea: has anyone ever tried wrapping it with the diffuser film to get it to fit? I wonder what the effect would be. Anyone think it's worth the trouble to try?
    Last edited by samurai_rob; 04-18-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Had an idea!

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ

3/4" PEX pipe from you local hardware store works as a good diffuser for thin walled polycarbonate.

Its outer diameter is 7/8" so it will fit great in thin walled polycarbonate

You could get some clear gift wrap, rool up about 5 foot of it and stick it inside the corbin film.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_rob View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I've never had one of the tcss diffusers in hand before and didn't know what the difference was in diameter. Never hurts to ask, though. Thanks.

Hey, just had an idea: has anyone ever tried wrapping it with the diffuser film to get it to fit? I wonder what the effect would be. Anyone think it's worth the trouble to try?
    It's not a bad idea... it's inexpensive and easy to try, so... you wouldn't be losing much (if anything really) even if the entire thing failed badly and somehow didn't improve the lighting or if it didn't maintain what the TCSS more solid diffuser alone would achieve.

So... I say--sure, go for it! Heck... I've tried at least 6 or 7 different "new" ideas on diffusion over 2006 to the present... all of which have failed miserably. But--no shame in this. Also, it's not like I spent more than (let's say) $10 of effort + materials + time combined to have a glimpse of the effect.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Talking

Thanks, Nova! I may just do that. I need a new blade and was thinking of making my own this time instead of ordering one of the finished ones, so I may give that a try. Does anyone know what the ETA is on the TCSS Diffusers? They're out of stock right now.

-Luke Skywalker, ROTJ