Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Five inch fluted extention

Default Five inch fluted extention

Is it possible to put the covertec clip on the end of the five inch fluted extention without screwing up the threads. How deep are the threads on the inside of tube?

My brother screwed thru the threads on his saber and they screw/unscrewed just fine, but YMMV.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

i was just wondering cause i had some bad experiences with drilling through threads and they got all chewed up, but thanks.

Well others will suggest against it but I am just saying the one that I have seen dident have a problem.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

well im thinking of a design where the covertec clip will go on the threaded portion of the extention and i would perfer not to use a d ring on the pummel.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The inside threads are .7" deep, but the outside threads are only .5" deep, so you have a little room there to work with. I wouldn't recommend putting a hole anywhere the threads come together. You will have a good chance to mess the threads up.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Banned Sith Lord

Screwing throgh threads is bad. Go just above it.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

i've built a couple of sabers where I had no other choice but to go through the threads. As of yet, they've not had any trouble. But words of caution

Avoid doing it in any section you plan to screw, unscrew routinely. Teh sabers I did do this to, are in sections that will only come apart if I were to completely, i mean completely disassemble the saber. Also, screw your parts together TIGHT before you do this. Any wiggle you have in the parts will not be fixable once you screw through the hole you drill.

I've drilled through threads and been able to screw/unscrew the parts regularly. It's all about how you go about doing it.

I coated both the male and female threads with Vaseline before screwign them together TIGHTLY. Center-punch, then drill with a SMALL bit, then work up to final size.

Unscrew the parts (they will be very difficult to get apart). Once apart, clean off the Vaseline and then dress the threads with some small jeweler's files to get rid of the burrs.

Give both the male and female threads a good coat in WD-40 or something and carefully screw them back together. If you feel resistance, you didn't deburr enough and have more work to do. When you've done it right, the parts should screw together as though nothing happened to them.

It's still a risky activity, so unless you're prepared to potentially ruin a couple of parts, don't rush headlong into it. I tested my method on some "junk" parts to get my technique down. I'm successful now about 75% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    The inside threads are .7" deep, but the outside threads are only .5" deep, so you have a little room there to work with. I wouldn't recommend putting a hole anywhere the threads come together. You will have a good chance to mess the threads up.
    The inside threads are actually .625" (5/8") deep and the pommel threads are actually .400" long, Blade holder threads are .500 long and so are the ribbed extensions.

Please...... if you are going to give out Info, make sure it is correct.

As for drilling threw the threads, I agree, use caution. If you must, make sure the drill bit you are using is new and sharp, this will minimize the burrs.