Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have the Blackberry Storm?

Default Anybody have the Blackberry Storm?

I get to upgrade my Verizon contract in June and am thinking about getting the Blackberry Storm. I have yet to get out to the store and check it out, but have been researching it like crazy. I figured if anyone here had it, I could get an honest opinion about it.

What I'd most like to know is does the screen get stuck in either orientation for long periods of time as it is rumored to do?

Thanks in advance!
    Alderaan shot first.

I have one. Its not bad. I like the positive "click" of the screen when you select things and type. The delay does happen more often then I like but it isn't real bad. I do normally expect thing to work correctly as advertised but I have resigned myself to the curse of being an early adopter. The biggest complaint after the occasional app and screen tilt delay is the camera shutter. The delay is so long after the button is pressed that the camera is only usable for static scenes or for patient subjects. (forget taking pics of the family dog)

I am reasonably content with the phone overall. It is not the iphone or even the google phone with all their apps and smooth operation, but as a business phone with texting and email it is good.

Just my 2 cents.

~DS

Thanks! That's generally what Ive heard. I'm hoping the OS is updated at least once before June (I think one is due the end of March) and that Pocket Mac is updated too. I was playing with my dad's dare and I could not get down the scrolling or typing without selecting something else. The Storm's screen would alleviate that. Thanks again!
    Alderaan shot first.

Sure. You do have to watch where you place your fingers as you type. Unlike the iphone, the keys dont get larger as you select them. I found that as long as your thumbs don't try to cross the "center" you shouldn't miss hit a key. With practice I have learned to type pretty well. There is also blackberry's app store that is supposed to be released with the new os update to look forward to.

~Ds

Which version do you run? Some say .75 is the newest official one and the best.

Do you have to ever remove your battery to get things to work? I've heard of people having to do this daily.

Wonder if the new version will speed up the camera?
    Alderaan shot first.

I do have .75 and I believe it is the most current release. I have yet to have to remove the battery though I have had to power down after an app update. The screen went all white. After a long reboot all was well. This has happened twice and I have owned it since release. I have heard that the camera will be improved but I am not expecting much (less disappointment that way.) With all the connection options on (ie, wireless, gps, email, etc) the battery life isn't wonderful. I have drained it using the verizon nav. The trip was about 40 min and the battery was at 75% when I started and it ended at <20%. A car charger is real handy if you plan on using it for turn by turn nav. If you just need a map to look at then no problem.

As a phone it is great. I also love the email connectivity. So over all I would say it is a B- phone. Some may say C+.

~DS

It looks like the app store is now live. It also appears that you need to have a paypal account.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29989724/
    Last edited by DigitalScream; 04-01-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add link

I'm glad it's Paypal and not thru verizon. Verizon would make us pay monthly for apps. Thats assuming using Paypal means you pay once and the app is yours. I know ringtones and such are monthly. Stupid.

I watched a Youtube vid yesterday showing me how to sync it with a Mac, so that's a 1 up for me. I am looking to use the phone as a texting/email/music machine.

Form factor is another big thing for me and this phone is just beautiful.
    Alderaan shot first.

Yeah I agree about the pay pal vs Verizon. Oh which reminds me, no wi-fi only the verizon wireless connection. I just downloaded the app store so I will see what its like later on today (at work and can use the phone in the building )

~DS

Yeah 3G only, which is fine, more reliable (mostly) that way. Do you have to do anything special to set up your email on the phone? I have yahoo, would I be able to check it aside from going to yahoo.com on the browser and trying to click on the tiny mail link?
    Alderaan shot first.

The Storm is a pretty good phone but the whole clicky screen is a pain to get used to, but apart from that I really like it! Seems Blackberry are going from Business to fashion lol

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682