Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Buying a laptop. Need opinions.

how much software is really out there for a apple tho? in the past there wasnt much at all, dont know now, but most all i see anywhere is pc software, thats not compatible with apple. unless they have changed the way it works to accept just about any software that is for regular pc computers. i dont know, thats why i am asking this.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Don't know if it's too late, but one suggestion I would give is to get something with (I'm not too sure about this) Speed Step technology? Basically it makes it so your computer doesn't run at the same processing speed all the time. Saves a significant amount of batter power.

"All men die, but not all men live... which are you?"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by steel_darkblade

Don't know if it's too late, but one suggestion I would give is to get something with (I'm not too sure about this) Speed Step technology? Basically it makes it so your computer doesn't run at the same processing speed all the time. Saves a significant amount of batter power.

"All men die, but not all men live... which are you?"
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is usually a setting for all mobile laptops... I don't even know of one built now that doesn't have it especially with the mobile Intel Core Duo processors now.

It saves in battery but it is sometimes useful to turn off because it produces lag in heavy applications.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

Guys, I bought my laptop last night. I don't have a model #, but it's a Toshiba. It has a dual processor (dual core Centrino or something...I can't remember), 100 GB hardrive, about 1 ghz ram, cd/dvd+/- RW, blah, blah, blah. After the 3 yr. service plan, the virus/spyware, and sales tax, I spent about $1600...I think. I could be a hundred or so off, since I don't have the receipt and I'm not a detail person. I think it'll be pretty cool. I was trying to avoid it, but I got it from Best Buy. I found many on the net for cheaper, but after I added all the necessities, I was ending up at about the same prices as the ones in stores. Plus, I like to complain to someone face-to-face if something goes wrong. The store was actually out of the model I bought, so I'm picking it up Friday. I hope it's cool. What do you guys think? And please don't brow beat me. My Best Buy card is still screaming from the abuse.

I have always liked Toshiba laptops as I have a old one that is about 10 years old and still works great. They are my favorite brand in laptop but not everyone agrees. I say if your happy then enjoy, if it is as good as mine then you will get a lot of use out of it.

Do-Clo

Don't make me destroy you...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You should be fine. Toshiba is a fine brand and it sounds like it will be able to handle what you throw at it for a while.

Should this turn into a suggestions on what to do next thread?[] Like get rid of some of the crap they install and security. Especially if it's for a bussiness you should make sure the data is safe from being stolen and/or failure.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

I have always liked Toshiba laptops as I have a old one that is about 10 years old and still works great. They are my favorite brand in laptop but not everyone agrees. I say if your happy then enjoy, if it is as good as mine then you will get a lot of use out of it.

Do-Clo

Don't make me destroy you...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, I had a laptop all picked out (Gateway) and then I asked the computer dude if it was the brand that he would buy. He said he'd get a Toshiba. He told me that Toshiba has been making laptops specifically for about 15 years or more and that they had more laptop experience than most company's that jumped on the bandwagon later. That's what sold me.

Toshiba's a fine product and it sounds like you have the most important thing but read through all of your warrenty stuff right away in full lawyer style detail because sales folks may not totally know what they are selling. They will say it is a coverall warrenty but then when you go to use it you find out that it is not and it is through company that has nothing to do with the manufacturer or the retail store. I am in the middle of a case like this as we speak, it is very frustrating because the evrey place will tell you something different because they are not affiliated with each other.

With Toshiba though it is possible you will never need to use the service, I have only heard one person badmouth them and he is such a brandname snob that you just want to ralf on him.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi