Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching for the perfect battery pack

im gonna be trying 2x 18650s.
    7.2v 2200mah

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I believe it has been mentioned in some of the posts about the UltraSound boards that it's not good to use battery packs that have voltages much above what the LED you're using needs.

This results in the boards getting excessively hot, since they will bleed off the extra voltage as heat.

I suggest you go read through some of the UltraSound threads in the Saber Sound forums to confirm this.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

two trustfires would give you 7.2...no?

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    two trustfires would give you 7.2...no?
    Yes, but I was looking for a pre-made battery pack. Putting one together defeats the purpose of looking elsewhere for one because I can just get it here. But with what Jedi-Loreen just said, if I'm using a P4, a 7.2V pack would be a bad idea. I think that setup would work better with 4.8V, but I'm not sure. More reading is apparently required.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So the maximum voltage if using a lux III and a hasbro board would be three volts if using rechargeables???

Somehow that doesn't make sense
    Could somebody explain that
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    So the maximum voltage if using a lux III and a hasbro board would be three volts if using rechargeables???

Somehow that doesn't make sense
    Could somebody explain that

huh?

using only 2 AA or AAA batteries would give you 3 volts...

4, gives you 6v

Im not sure what your saying?

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

J-lo said "I believe it has been mentioned in some of the posts about the UltraSound boards that it's not good to use battery packs that have voltages much above what the LED you're using needs. This results in the boards getting excessively hot, since they will bleed off the extra voltage as heat."

So I was wondering if that applied to all boards if only using rechargeable batteries because doesn't a Lux III only need 3 volts? Or am I totally wrong?

I'm basicly asking "do you use different voltage when you use rechargeables as opposed to regular ones"?
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Obi-Ben: I haven't had a problem running my Lux III's and V's off of the US2.0 and the Trustfires. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've also always made sure to change the setting before igniting the blade after an LED change was made.

I've had the board for awhile now and have yet to encounter any problems other than having to break the battery connection every now and again to get it to boot.

Plus, I hope that Tim wouldn't sell the US2.0 battery/speaker combo as "Designed to be used with 2x TrustFire 3.7v protected cells" if it would cause damage to the board. The settings on the board should properly regulate everything to avoid any "fires" in your hilt.

Plus the max voltage for the board is 12V, so unless you literally fill your hilt with batteries you should be ok with around 7.2V.
    Last edited by Darth Siggious; 03-18-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Want a cookie? Join the Dark Side.

Is funny because you are prisoner and there is no pool cuz this is Death Star. - FG Blue Harvest

U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Start

Ok. So 7.4V would work. Now what about 4.8V? With a US2.1 & P4? Damn, I thought I was going into this thread knowing what voltage I needed, but now I'm totally lost.

Taken directly from the US2.0 specifications sheet:

Battery input voltage.
    Maximum for board = 12V
    Minimum for Luxeon 3 and K2 = 4.5V (3.6 for some)
    Minimum for Luxeon 5 = 7.2V

P4's generally have the same power requirements as Lux III's. I've run both off of the same MR Obi Wan board with 6V and haven't had a problem yet either. Now that I've said "I haven't had a problem yet" twice in the same thread, I'm expecting my sabers to all blow up tonight.
    Want a cookie? Join the Dark Side.

Is funny because you are prisoner and there is no pool cuz this is Death Star. - FG Blue Harvest

U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Start