Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Saber??

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Preston View Post
    Wouldn't it be hard to swing the blade underwater?
    Yes it would, but if you where fighting around a pool, lake, or something similar
    how cool would it be to be able to push your opponent in the water before or after you killed him!!

You couldn't really fight underwater anyway because we can't see (unless you have goggles),
    and can only hold our breath for all of 30 seconds.

A waterproof lightsaber would make dueling a lot more fun and open up more places you could fight.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

That would be awesome! espesially for a film...
    “What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

The way I see it Jacuzzis have waterproof speakers right? So there must be a way to replicate that for sabers with sound.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    You couldn't really fight underwater anyway because we can't see (unless you have goggles), and can only hold our breath for all of 30 seconds.
    I'm certainly not advocating people trying this kind of thing, but... many people can hold their breath for longer than 30 seconds (I can)... you can see perfectly fine underwater in something like a swimming pool... and yes, obviously it would have to be a sort of "slow-mo" sequence, lol...

But at that point, I'd say... why not just use carbon fiber rods / sticks / whatever like saber fan films and roto-scope it later on? Unless you have the means and logistics and wherewithal to do the electronic sabers and throw those sabers out afterward...

...because believe me... they would NOT work right later on. Unless you covered them with shrink wrap or somethin'... you know what I mean. Waterproof for certain.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I have a very strong feeling that I've been discussing this before. Like a year (or possibly two) ago. I shall dig and share my results.

Found it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ght=underwater

3 years ago. @#$. I've been lurking around here for some time now.
    Pity I never have any money, so I could talk about something. Like building new sabers.
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 03-25-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Enol... please edit out the language, thank you. You have to remember--kids are watching.

Back to water-proofing a saber... again... clear shrink tubing. Done. And it's true that I'd recommend a special waterproof sealant for the blade tip, and for the blade where it enters the blade holder (permanent attachment).

It's also true that... if for ANY reason, the shrink tube / sealant leaked... that'd be the end of it--whether in "due time", or instantaneously.

It would be neat to see a 10 second (or more??) clip of two fighters diving in to some pool, lake, whatever... swimming to one another... and slow-motion "duke-in' it out".
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Default count

would it count if I used a lightsaber in an underwater hotel?

No.

But you would instantly get 1 point for being cool.
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Back to water-proofing a saber... again... clear shrink tubing. Done. And it's true that I'd recommend a special waterproof sealant for the blade tip, and for the blade where it enters the blade holder (permanent attachment).
    Simply Brilliant NovaStar.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

One issue would be pressure. A sealed saber would have a different pressure in water than outside, similar to a submarine. A thin membrane over the sound outlet could be a problem unless you actually introduce pressure to the "cabin" of the saber hilt before sealing it up.

Plus boyancy is another factor. Unless it's sealed up in a vaccume, it'll want to float to the surface. Granted, not really an issue with a MHS body with it's density, but a PVC or Sinktube would provide a huge problem in this area.

As for the blade being perminant, I don't see a reason why...just use a retaining screw and a rubber o-ring..or let the blade flood with water. Water is an excellent conduit for light, from what I remember from my basic physics classes.

I just might try this project myself..trickiest part would be sealing the activator switch. Perhaps a tactile switch with a rubber boot similar to them big ole flashlights. Heck, might just use that as a base for one!

"Absolutely not. You're not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke's."
    ―Corran Horn, to Tahiri Veila