Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Economy Version Hasbro Sound Tutorial

so you need to use both the pnp transistor and the 5v reg to power the led is that correct

if just doing 6v is it the same setup
    Last edited by jin starkiller; 09-23-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You don't need the voltage regulator if you are using 6 volts, but for anything over 6 volts you MUST use a regulator or you will fry the board.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

hmm i am a lil confuzzled, if i used the first diagram i dont need a resistor? Do i need to use the second diagram with 4 AAA batteries? Right now i have it wired like the first diagram and it works fine, though the clash is hard to get off, i tested the sensor and know it works, its just got a lot of cushioning it seems.
    Last edited by jungilizt; 09-23-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The battery solution doesn't really matter except if you use more than 6 volts you need to use a voltage regulator. You do need to use the TIP42 transistor to get enough power to the LED though.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Yeah i bought some PNP transistors at Radio Shack and hooked it up like it shows in the first diagram. Works fine so far, just wanted to be sure i didnt need the resistor that came with the Seoul P4 kit. In the first diagram it doesnt show one, in the second it does.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You will still need a resistor to keep the LED from getting too hot and burning up. To find the correct resistor you need to measure the voltage between the battery pack negative and the transistor collector or if you have the LED hooked up, measure across the LED + and -. Then use the LED resistance formula.

(Vsource - V LED forward) / LED current = resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    You will still need a resistor to keep the LED from getting too hot and burning up. To find the correct resistor you need to measure the voltage between the battery pack negative and the transistor collector or if you have the LED hooked up, measure across the LED + and -. Then use the LED resistance formula.

(Vsource - V LED forward) / LED current = resistance.
    Or, if you are like me and are mathematically impaired, you can use the handy LED resistor calculator. Plug in the forward voltage and forward current for your LED (It's in the datasheet for the LED, which can easily be found by Googling), then enter the results of your voltage measurement into "Source voltage." It will tell you not just the required resistance, but also the recommended wattage of the resistor (which is very important).
    There's always a bigger fish.

Default ...

So the Force Action boards actually are good? I need a soundboard for my Anakin Episode 2 build next week. I will post progress pics for you@Rheyen. Will they work good with a P4 blue led and 3 accents? I was going to turn the two holes above the mpp clamp into accents and an accent inside the hilt for thr crystal. You will see. ;D Anyway, have a nice one.

I don't recommend the Force Action boards. The 2010 Hasbro Econo boards are the way to go! I'm a firm supporter and have built 4 sabers with that board.