Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Saber Build

thaxos, here's a nifty way to add a d-ring to that kind of a pommel. take a drill to one of the protruding studs. once you've got your hole, all you need a naked d-ring from custom strapworks (google that sucka), a good set of plyers, and some elbow grease.

what i do with all my sabers is counter-weight them with squashed lead fishing weights in the pommel or close to it. this would allow you to shorten your saber and still give you a lot of usability. 14" is really long, bro. but that's your call. rock on

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Katarn View Post
    thaxos, here's a nifty way to add a d-ring to that kind of a pommel. take a drill to one of the protruding studs. once you've got your hole, all you need a naked d-ring from custom strapworks (google that sucka), a good set of plyers, and some elbow grease.

what i do with all my sabers is counter-weight them with squashed lead fishing weights in the pommel or close to it. this would allow you to shorten your saber and still give you a lot of usability. 14" is really long, bro. but that's your call. rock on
    D-ring idea sounds like a great idea, I think I'll go with that. I love the look of a D-ring on a saber. As well, I'll have to find some tubes or something to see what length I prefer... It's just I like the look of the grips made by those v-notched pieces.

just remember, that is not the easiest thing to do, you either need a drill press, or a bench vice and some serious skills with a hand drill, otherwise you have a better than average chance of just putting a useless hole in a great pommel.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_DevilGuy View Post
    just remember, that is not the easiest thing to do, you either need a drill press, or a bench vice and some serious skills with a hand drill, otherwise you have a better than average chance of just putting a useless hole in a great pommel.
    I'm plenty skilled with my hands, a drill and I've got a bench vice. But yeah, definitely would only do it when completely ready.

Default Revival of a Potential Saber

Have some cash to toss around now, thinking more seriously about this.
    What do you guys think of this build, the only thing is that I won't be using that blade holder, rather I'll be using Style 16 of the blade holders.
    Any potential flaws?

I'm not planning on any lighting or sound. Just the saber itself for now.
    Switch placement and those extra finishing touches, any comments in regards to this is very appreciated.
    Probably going to use O-rings on the ribbed section just like in my initial concept.
    Last edited by Thaxos; 04-04-2009 at 01:35 PM.

this is just my opinion. will take a few extra $ to either have tim powder coat or some extra work to paint.

Not sure about the switch preference you might want to use the lower profile gaurded switches but I am not a hudge fan of them personally. Depens if you are dueling, want for show or just playing around. Also the control boxes we were talking about would give this more of an OT look.

The powder coating looks very nice, I think I would want a lower profile switch... This is probably just for show but possibly later for costuming. My parents probably won't understand the reasoning for buying any of this so I'm trying to not go all out, but do it in steps.
    If anyone knows when the new blade holder Style 16 will be implemented in the MHS Builder, I'd like to know.
    Also, covertec vs D-ring
    What's everyone's opinion? I am kinda preferring the D-ring look, but lets hear your feedback.

What Star Wars time period are you looking at. Original trilogy or New trilogy. If original go with a D ring in the pomel and a box or clamp (with the switch inside eventually. If your not putting electronics in this would be the way to go in my opinion. If you are looking at New trilogy time or during the clone wars Covertech knob and low profil button.

Of course thats just my opinion. You need to do what you like.

I'm quite a fan of that design, less problems than your first, though i'd do the gear in a dark blue instead of black or grey, just to individualise it.
    And I agree with the activation box idea, or a switch & stacked thumb screw combo, ala Kit Fisto. Both would work with the design.
    But the switch, like the belt clip, depends what era in the timeline you're looking at it being for the best asthetics.

I'll be honest, I think it's a waste that you wanna buy the hilt parts, but not wire it up, it's not that much more, and it means you could use it more actively if you wanna get it to go with a costume. That's just my opinion.

As for blade length, you need to work out a comfortable size for dueling with for your fighting style. My advice is to swing a broom around, varying the positions of your hands until you find a comfortable size. Most people are between 32" & 36".
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

the gear done with gun blue would be sweet. I like d-rings because they seem a little more natural and can be really low profile compared to a covertech clip. Take your time building it and don't worry about the electronics , the nice part is as you get a little more cash here and there, you can easily swap and change parts until you are 100percent ready to wire 'er up. good design, good luck.