Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finished (kinda) Amber Saber

I'm more-or-less with Allaerra on that one. For me, it's either Corbin or polypropylene. I like both, and I think the choice should be based on your saber design, the LED color, what kind of "feel" you're going for, etc. But I think mixing them defeats the point of both styles. It's a choice between evenness (polypropylene) or that cool blurred (?) core effect (Corbin). I love the way polypropylene looks when the saber is turned off. It looks almost like a shaft of mercury.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Wow, 4 blade retention screws? That sucker isn't coming out!

Polypropylene is used in the TCSS blades, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    Polypropylene is used in the TCSS blades, right?
    I don't think so. TCSS blades come in two flavors: Corbin-style and "standard diffuser"-style. I've never purchased the latter, but it sure doesn't look like polypropylene. It looks more like the white tube that comes in standard Force FX Lightsabers. Polypropylene is a very thin, transparent film that, when layered, becomes a semi-opaque, extremely reflective material. But to get that effect you need a lot of layers, not just two or three.

Let's see. The inner diameter of a thin-walled 1" polycarbonate tube is about 21mm. That means it has a circumference of about 66mm. I use one meter of the film in my blades, and that's just half of what other people use. So, setting aside the fact that the inner circumference gets shorter with each layer, that's at least 15 layers, and probably more. That might sound like a lot, but this stuff is extremely thin, so even that many layers amounts to less than a millimeter. Crazy stuff. With Corbin film, on the other hand, 1 to 4 layers is standard.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I do my own blades, I use a 5/8 inch wooden dowel to put corbin film through first then poly-p.

with the poly-p I'd recommend finding one of the large size rolls (40" wide) so you don't have to mess with multiple sheets.

There's tutorials around, but basically what I do is wrap the dowel in corbin film, run that through (making sure the scoring is strait) cut off the ends so theres a couple millimeters less than the length of the Poly-C then wrap the dowel in about 4 feet of 40 inch wide Poly Propylene, then run that through and cut off the ends as with the corbin film.

Some people use hot glue to secure the ends, I prefer scotch tape, mainly because it's easier to remove if something gets fouled up.

once the film is in you can put the tip on the blade using an epoxy or plastic weld for best hold.

Edit: Poly-P is often sold as clear gift wrap, just make sure the roll you get doesn't have any visible creases

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    Wow, 4 blade retention screws? That sucker isn't coming out!
    Ha ha, yeah I wish i had that much patience, but I don't. Only one screw is a blade retention screw (the one to the left of the ignition). The others are just for decoration they go in about the length of the Aluminum and are permanently affixed with JB weld. I think they accent and personalize the emitter rather well.
    Just my opinion.

Tims standard diffuser is something like what is inside a standard MR. Its milky white. On a thread somewhere Nova was asking if anybody noticed that amber leds actually look better using Tims diffuser. I tried this and agree with him. Both of my "Tim Blades" are 32 inches long and I must say look great with my green P4 as well.
    "The Dark Side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must seek power above all else, with no reservation or hesitation." ~Darth Revan~

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tim's Diffuser's are pretty good but I personally like the celophane diffuser the best.

I tried both for an Amber blade but the cellophane was brighter.
    A pic with the cellophane is here... http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7293
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

It all comes down to personel preforence. You could like a erv, tcss, corbin, or a polyp blade.
    Last edited by Sairon; 03-13-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Hey guys added some Poly-P and did a little something else.

See if you can guess what...

Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Do you have the buck puck hooked up?

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php