Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with build!

Default Help with build!

I am designing a lightsaber for a school project and it is required that the design is made.

I need to know how feasible this is:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v..._/scan0001.jpg

I would appreciate any tips on building this and what parts to use. By he way I am a total noob at this!

Thanks, Aaron

By the way; it is approximately 50cm long - 25 for the hilt and another 25 for the shroud.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but no one is going to spoon feed you the information. There's just too much to say on what you would need how to wire it etc etc etc. My advice is to really start to read the threads...read, read, read.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That shroud isn't going to be easy. Do you have any idea what you're going to make it out of? It's got a strange shape.

You should probably have figured out how you're going to make the parts, before you designed your saber. What class is this for?

You're in the right area to see how to build a basic LED saber.

I suggest going to the MHS builder and see if there's any parts you can make work close to your design.

The shroud is going to be the hardest part, in my opinion.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

50 cm will make for a rather...odd hilt. The average length for a hilt is around 26-29 cm. I like your idea for the shroud, but I think it's too much for someone without much experience making sabers. The biggest problem is the bulge. If you use a standard 1.5" sinktube for the shroud, and forget the bulge, you could easily make something like what you have in your design. And while I like your idea for the grip, I can't think of anything offhand that you could use to easily make it. If you have access to a lathe and know how to use it, it's certainly possible, but if I were you, I would follow Jedi-Loreen's advice and try to make the basic hilt using TCSS MHS parts, and use a 1.5" sinktube to make the shroud.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Thanks for the help so far,

I do have access, and experience, with a lathe but i think i will make the grip from lots of o-rings - Do o-rings fit onto a sink tube well?
    Also the shroud is kinda unchangeable. I think i will have to search for a tube elsewhere, that is the required shape or manipulate one into that shape.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you use a MHS size hilt. The size o-rings you need are 123 (thin ones) and 217 (thick ones). You can get them off of ebay from brown supply.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Any thoughts on this:

-1-1/2" x 12" sink tube (cut to size) full of black o-rings
    -an MHS to 1.5 sink tube adapter with a screw on EL blade holder type to attached ( + more o -rings)

Will this work? I will leave the shroud for now. Also i am guessing an EL holder means i will have to us EL; what is the difference between EL and LED?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

My bad, i will search next time! EL seems perfectly adequate, i will probably get an EL kit.

So will my set-up piece together? All these dimensions are frying my brain!