Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonfa handle prototype

Thumbs up

Sweetness!

Just a thought Tim - the point of stress will be right a the T-junction. Do you think it needs any additional reinforcement. Or do you think you might need to have a slightly longer threaded section for the handle?

-C
    LOCKHEED

Get my drift?
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Very nice. However I suggest adding some sort of a lip near the button end of the handle to make it easier to spin in your hand without it sliding out of your hand.

While it's nice to have an adapter for the side handle that you can attach anywhere on a standard MHS piece, strength could be an issue. A permanant "T" piece using a 1" OD side handle connected to a 3" double female threaded connector might be a better choice for strength. A piece of 1.25" solid stock with a small hole (for wires) bored through it lengthwise could be inserted into the 3" double female threaded connector and held in place with either set screws or metal epoxy (like JB Weld). Then one could drill or mill the 1" OD hole into the side and sink the handle into it. That piece would then be held in with screws or metal epoxy (the handle would be hollow and the bottom end would have a slot milled out so that it lines up with the hole that is in the solid stock piece). To make the joint look clean you could make a small beveled handle shroud that rests where the two "pipes" connect.

That's my 2 cents anyway and it's probably only worth 1 cent.
    Last edited by ARKM; 03-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Whoa, you've been a busy guy!
    This is a really nice design you've done here. Will there be further part options in the future? Handle and end cap variations would be pretty cool.
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Tim, you sneaky man. You are just trying to get everyone to double their orders because everyone knows swinging just one tonfa looks stupid, so everyone that wants one actually needs two.touche. nice

I'm really liking the idea that you can mount a guarded switch there as well...
    Lord Cyric ~ Consumed by the darkness within ~

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I'm not sure why some think its not strong enough. The part being bolted to the tube is made out of one solid piece of aluminum. I dont think it will be a issue but if it becomes one we can look at other options.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Awesome saber Tim. I agree, I think it will be plenty strong enough.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Tim, that is awesome.

I'll take 2. At least...

New Staff Design

Is this a 'kit'? or will the pieces be available separately?

suggestions:

1.) different length 'handles' (if not a kit..or multiple kit options)
    2.) the lip at the top/end of the handle was mentioned, and is a good idea as to not have things 'slip out'.. however I think this can also be done with a lip on the bottom of the pommel as well

3.) I think the guarded switch in the pommel needs to be available stand alone as well.

pretty nice work..