Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yoda Saber Replica

Default Yoda Saber Replica

My "Kids' sabers on the cheap" are showing their age. Impromptu saber duels occur with alarming regularity in my house. Unfortunately, my son, age 3, is insistent on working on his "Force Saber Throw" skills and as a result, the sink drain flange hilts are misshapren and worse...GASP.....SHARP!

Therefore, I am working on two things......

1. A "NO FORCE SABER THROW" RULE

2. A Yoda Replica Saber

Tim has agreed to do the mill work I am hoping will make a decent looking replica saber. The saber will be around 6" in overall length (Slightly longer than the drawings I have seen) and be entirly MHS with 2 overlays.

I am seeking input from those who attempted Yoda's saber before......Jontus, Malakai, others?......Ideas or cautions?

Also, batteries are going to be a huge(ironic, that term) issue. I have to have rechargeable and will do Li-Ion since I already have the charger.

LED is a green K2. The guts are a CF v4 (thanks Erv'!)

Swithces and indicator LED (LEDs ????) are going to be outboard of the MHS tube section in the trim ring.

I am considering an RC car/ plane jack/ plug for the recharge port...size and asthetics are the main issue.....I have seen one on here before, and I have some R/C plane parts from a past hobby life........but I can't locate them this second......

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I am aiming at MADCOW's level of work on QGJ from Ep I......(lofty goal there).
    Even though this is for a little guy, I still want it close......

Many thanks,

bd
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

Default Anyone With Pics Or Input

Well for an update.....

I have assembled the "guts" for this saber, save for the batteries. I am going to have to wait until the hilt gets here to test fit everything.

I got set of reference pics from the parts of Star Wars...they help with deciding on screw locations and designs.

I am going to have to deviate from the orginal by including a covertec clip and recharge port setup. The recharge port is going to be on the activator box......

The clock is ticking, as that my TCSS box will be here tomorrow(Thanks, Tim).

I'll post once I get it mocked up.

J.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer

In the cantina drinkin' Colt 45's with Lando

sweet, looking forward to checking this out... since I got the MR Yoda saber Ive been hot for a short bladed, short hilt yoda like saber to duel with... are you using the standard size MHS peices? The MR is prolly more like 1.25 inch size, with a 3/4 inch blade...

DDD

Default First Photos

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have been out of town.

Tim's box came (SWEET) and I have sort of assembled the saber. This biggest problem I am having is the black band around the hilt (See Other thread). MHS is 1.45" OD so finding a plastic tube to fit over it is tough. I tried any number of sink tubes and PVC connectors....I am going to try a length of pvc pipe....anyway......here are the details and photos:

green K2 Luxeon
    Driven by CF v4
    2 AAA battery pack
    NUTIN ELSE----Won't fit.

I will eventually work on a rechargeable solution, but I need to get this together so I can move on to other household projects :0

The saber was designed after the Sith Archive drawings.....funny thing about Yoda's saber is that the saber in the visual dictionary is a mock up made later and modeled after something that was supposed to be something but really wasn't because it is all Computer Generated......whew.....

Tim machined and powder coated the emitter for me (LOOKS AWSOME!), the rest is stock MHS. Overall length (without shroud) is right at 6.25". The shroud I made out of 1/8" aluminum bar. It was a lot harder to make than I thought......and I am still not 100% happy with it. I had to have the notch for the shroud machined locally, since I was not sure how large I wanted it to be. There again, as far as replicas go, this is kinda tough. There actual "thing" was a computer image and I have seen 3 different variants of designs....One made for the SW Visual dictionary (with the lamborghini model wheel and the model car oil pan activator box), one made by the same designer (so I understand) for MR and a variant from the parts of Star Wars web site with great photos that differ from the other 2.

Full length

Emitter

Shroud mount

Pommel

Tim's Great work

In Hand

The insides are still in flux, because I am still designing the black band and switch box, although I found an awsome plug at Lowes that is "Close enough" for the switch box......we'll see.

Comments and suggestions from the Peanut Gallery welcomed!

Thanks for the input.

bd
    Last edited by BlackDOG; 06-27-2008 at 09:30 PM.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer

very cool, and with sound no less, thats an acomplishment.

Ah, 2 AAA would be a problem, the k2 ask's for 3.85V 2 Alkaline AAA are poping out just 3V, though current might be another issue, have you thought about Li-Ions? mount the board on the and pop em in there and you should have a bit more room... you could even get a Lux Rebel, which gives a lot more run time

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Yeah Malaki, the Li-Ions, in fact, are the plan. I am wanting to get everything together in the hilt and see how much room there is.......I had totally forgotten about the FVof the K2 being what bit was.......A rebel seems like a good idea from and efficiency/tuin time stand point, but I need to look back at the forum discussion about rebels and green......HMMMMMMMM. Tha brings up tiny recharge port issue. I had scoured the net for a recharge port for a R/C plane........ but getting something small enough is a pain.

I found this at Radio shack and thought if MIGHT work:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...t&tab=features

I checked on some Li-ions tonight and I have to do some measuring...the dimenison that gives me a fit is the height, since I have to piggyback the CF board.

Still on the drawing board.

bd
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Wow, what a nice dad, to give his 3-yr old a saber with a CF4 in it!
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Wink

Yeah good point Loreen, Blackdog can you adopt me please?

Full of Win & Awesome. Current ranking, 10 internetz.
    Sponsoring internetz increases levels of Win & Awesome.
    Barmic youve got me started on something now