Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need Help converting my ESB Graflex

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Do you already have a CF? If not, they are as hard to get as the proverbial pie in the sky.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Yeah I don't have a CF. After more studying, I think I'll be fine with an US 2.1 when they become available.

I already ordered a Lux V Cyan, lens and holder, and a blade from elsewhere.

Aside from that, I think I'm gonna wait until Master Yoda gets some more DIY chassis done and go from there.

Correct LDM is. CFs are very hard to get your hands on. But the cool thing is, Erv' (the guy that makes them) HANDMAKES them in his house. The guy is a genius. I would give the same advice as Fender and LDM gave to you. Start out with an MHS saber, and if you want to have a cool looking hilt, but at the same time, your own design, MHS is the way to go. OR you could buy an MR/hasbro and convert it. They both are great learning platforms. But if you want to go MHS, I would rcommend not to use a soundboard at first. Just direct drive it. But if wiring up a direct drive was easy for you, then you may want to add sound, and if/when you do, start out with a cheap hasbro card or MR board. But those can be tricky. Good hunting, and happy luck!
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Or he coud send it to some saber smith and get them to complete the saber for him. though where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by Sairon; 03-13-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    Or he coud send it to some saber smith and get them to complete the saber for him. though where's the fun in than.

Oh, I don't know...I think it is a lot of fun...wait, I build like 3 sabers a week, of course it is fun! VIVA LA TIM!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

So I got some of my stuff today. Should the lens easily snap into the lens holder? Cuz that's not happenin' for me.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mine never would so I didn't use it.

I haven't had any problems.........yet
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    So I got some of my stuff today. Should the lens easily snap into the lens holder? Cuz that's not happenin' for me.
    I got a lens to snap into a lens holder once. For about five seconds. These days, I just snip off the tabs that are supposed to hold the lens, and use a few tiny dabs of rubber cement to hold the lens on the lens holder. (I recently tried a few tiny dabs of gel-type superglue, and discovered that that stuff is like cancer on transparent plastic. After a few hours, most of the lens had turned white. )

Using only parts available here on TCSS, you can make a fair approximation of an ANH Luke that can fool the untrained eye, and it will be a lot easier to do than the project you're attempting.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

no need to worry, when the optics are inside the blade holder, it will hold the lens in for you.

Well I've started work on a prototype chassis. It's been awhile since I've done any machining so I was really just getting some practice in.

I don't really know Master Yoda's dimensions (if anyone has some measurements they'd be kind enough to share I'd really appreciate it!) so I'm just estimating at the moment.

I went to the hardware store and bought some brass tubing and some 8-32 socket head bolts. (probably shouldve gone w/ 6-32 or drilled the holes in my disks further away from the edges, I'm gonna have to turn down the heads of the bolts to clear the ID of the Graflex now).

I already had some 1.5" delrin lying around so I turned some of that down to about 1.380", laid out some holes and drilled through. I parted a couple off just to mess around with.

Last edited by Dann; 03-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.