Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motion clash sensors--how do they work?

Default Motion clash sensors--how do they work?

I looked through the forums, but I didn't see an answer about the currently available sound boards. I'm thinking of getting either an UltraSound or a Crystal Focus board (though I'm told the latter may be beyond my experience level). [What other sound boards are there, other than the Master Replica boards and the Hasbro? (I don't care for either)]

Anyway, I'm wondering how the clash/motion sensors work in the UltraSound and CF boards work. Do they work basically the same way?
    Last edited by Obi-Ben; 03-01-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I would slowly back away from this discussion. Suffice to say that both high end boards have the motion and clash technology built in. May I suggest, that even if you don't particularly "like" MR boards, that you buy and MR saber, gut it and use the board anyways. Do this before you FUBAR a high end board. The skills you develop in taking it apart and seeing how things work will be invaluable to you in the future if you decide to stay involved with this hobby.

TRUST me on this advice. I am nearing my 100th custom build and MR boards can be VERY useful.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I would recommend the same. Rather than risk sending a very expensive, and in some cases rare board, why not try an MR or even a Hasbro first. This way you can hone your electronics wiring skills and if you burn out one of those boards, at least you learned something and you aren't out a whole lot of money.
    Follow Your Bliss

I may be talking out of my @$$ here but I believe that on the Hasbro boards, the motion and clash sensors are usually very simple ones -
    i.e. a spring mounted in the middle of a metal cylinder such that when you move it or hit something, the spring makes contact with the walls of the cylinder and closes the circuit.

As far as I can tell, there are rattling sounds on the MR boards when I shake them, which leads me to believe that there is a ball bearing type of switch in there somewhere - i.e. there's a tiny metal ball bearing in a tube and whenever it moves to a certain part of the tube, it closes the circuit. Where exactly this would be located on the board, I'm still not quite sure... As for the MR clash sensor, I think it's the same as the spring type thingy, although I could be completely wrong about that.

I've used a vibration sensor in place of the cheapo hasbro one that was basically a variant of the ball bearing switch.

I sent my Ultrasound back in for the 2.1 upgrade, but I have no idea how it measures motion or clash. I couldn't really hear anything... I'm also pretty sure that the US and CF technology is proprietary info and that you're probably not going to find out much from anyone "in the know."

Lastly, I would agree with the general sentiment here - start out with a cheapo hasbro board (my current favorite is the Hasbro Clone Wars Ultimate Lightsaber one) or with an MR board before going on to an ultrasound. To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with the MR boards... well, ok... I'll reserve judgement until Grayven or Novastar post up the clash-flash tri-rebel tutorial I haven't even been able to *find* a CF board, let alone see or touch one...
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-02-2009 at 01:35 AM.
    LOCKHEED

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here. If it's proprietary information, I'll just leave it at that. I was just being curious about how they work. I really do want to get an UltraSound board, but I do understand the danger of accidentally damaging it, so I'll practice on something else first. I've soldered simple circuit boards before, but it has been a little while and I should refresh my skills before risking a new UltraSound.

the only thing 'proprietary'about them is the code/algo's used to actually make them work..

I believe they both use an accelerometer (same thing a Wii controller has) to check the force/velocity (g's) being put forth on the chip by your 'swing'...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here. If it's proprietary information, I'll just leave it at that. I was just being curious about how they work. I really do want to get an UltraSound board, but I do understand the danger of accidentally damaging it, so I'll practice on something else first. I've soldered simple circuit boards before, but it has been a little while and I should refresh my skills before risking a new UltraSound.
    It is not that anything is a secret, but it is a touchy subject better left dead. Soldering skills on a PCB are what you need to practice BTW, which are significantly more delicate than soldering wires...
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The new toy hasbro don't use the nail and spring for clash anymore. They have gotten just a bit higher tech than that. It has a small metal rod with a plastic cap on the top of it. I haven't taken one apart to see how it works (YET) but I have a broken one that I may take apart just to see how it works. If I do I will let you know.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

It's still a stupid spring inside a small metal tube.

oh, and a BAD one at that...

The plastic top just slides off.
    LOCKHEED

See, this is why I want to get an UltraSound board.