Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Well holy Nova-Trickster...

Very nice Nova! I'm still working on landing my front and back flips, any advice on how to jump high enough to land on your feet instead of your backside, knees, or stomach?
    Last edited by Sairon; 02-28-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    I want to see it with Lightsabers!
    Wish granted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHC2JWjeQ&fmt=18

The first guy in there was ANIS. God, that was a great moment for me at the camp. By the way, I'm going to be wiring up a saber for Anis (as a gift) if I see him @ the 2009 camp. With any luck, LDM will provide a hilt, and I might be able to get a CF in there...

As for *ME* doing tricks with sabers... well, there was the back tuck in 2006 during BOP I, but there is also my quasi-shakey b-twist with the saber during the "250 battle" on the NSCFCDv1 (well, v1.1 now). However, my spine was fractured at the time, hahahh... so I was nervous and careful.

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    Jeez dude, that stuff is awesome. How long does it take to condition yourself for something like that?
    Uh, as long as it takes. It's a combination of many things, not all of which are purely physical. Understanding the move at a core level helps... and remember--I do not have the strength and flexibility that some of these guys have. I'm more "nerd + athlete" than pure athlete...

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    Very nice Nova! I'm still working on landing my front and back flips, any advice on how to jump hig enough to land on your feet instead of your backside, knees, or stomach?
    Yes. Firstly, it applies to nearly all tricks which is... you must jump STRAIGHT UP in the air. For a standing back tuck, you really have to utilize all of your mechanical tools: slightly bent knees, arms set WAY back behind you... and then it's a timing thing... in this order:

1. Arms swing down and up HARD and FAST...
    2. Just a split second afterward, your calves/knees are punching away from the ground...
    3. Just a split second afterward, your knees are tucking HARD and FAST...
    4. Stay tucked a bit longer than you initially/naturally feel you want to stay tucked... TIGHT (in a "ball")!!!
    5. To land well, do not lock your legs... keep your knees a bit bent to absorb the shock of the landing.

DO NOT jump back as much as possible. In a bubble, the goal is to jump exactly upward (perpendicular to the ground) and land in almost exactly the spot you left. If you flew back something like 3 feet or more... something is wrong--you are probably "chucking" your head back.

I have that problem with my backtucks (I lean back a bit too much), but... everyone is different, and that comes from my lack of "tuck" flexibility. Since I ain't young anymore.

There are plenty of back flip tutorials... try Juji's... he was one of the first to ever make a tuck tutorial. Juji is the man, and he's HILARIOUS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ8CRrFXzH4&fmt=18

But... there are plenty of tutorials and back tucks to be seen out there. Just remember: BE SAFE and know your limits. DO NOT try any of this without careful planning, training, safety.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Yeah, I most likely will practise alot on a trampoline untill I get the feel (I can land stuff on a tramp), and then build up my courage to flip on the ground. The main thing is my leg strength, I need to build it up.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Thumbs up

That is so awesome.
    Not only is it a great spectacle to watch, but it's cool to see the obvious support among the folks there. The running tackle-hugs when someone completes those awesome moves really brings home how together everyone is in each others progress.

Is it hard to watch the Spider-Man movies when you guys can actually *do* cooler stuff?
    Yes, I spell it sabre. I just like it that way.

New to the hobby or LED lightsabres? CLICK HERE for a listing of the basics to get started!

Dictionary of sabre building terms

Remember kids, using Darth or Master in your user name won't make you cool.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Damn. I got all sorts of phantom aches and pains from watching that. Mostly from the area that the emotion of envy comes from. Awesome stuff man, cant wait for the new BOP.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

That was a fun vid to watch, Novastar. A lot of talent and fun going on there!

I'm just a fat old man...if I tried that stuff, I'd be a sack of torn ligaments, separated joints, and ankles full of pooled blood from burst vessels. Oh! To be young and flexible again...
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Donnovan Sunrider View Post
    That is so awesome.
    Not only is it a great spectacle to watch, but it's cool to see the obvious support among the folks there. The running tackle-hugs when someone completes those awesome moves really brings home how together everyone is in each others progress.
    I COMPLETELY agree. One of my absolute most favorite things about the tricking community... is that everyone is positive, and everyone is GENUINELY looking for you to improve. Egos are pretty far on the wayside, and everyone does their best to respect one another.

It is something that (I found) was SEVERELY lacking in my fencing community (at least with competition), and I have to admit... if I could do it all over again... I would have rather stayed with "martial art" vs. western fencing. To be quite candid.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Donnovan Sunrider View Post
    Is it hard to watch the Spider-Man movies when you guys can actually *do* cooler stuff?
    Sessh could be Spider Man. He's also an engineer. The guy is seriously one of my most favorite people on the planet, no joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDsFCG9Ot8&fmt=18

It's not just because he's a BEAST of flowing from one move to the next to the next to the NEXT to the NEXT, NEXT, NEXT!!?!?!!

It's more because of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvGxj5qvC0&fmt=18

He's like the "Professor" of Tricking as far as I'm concerned, and it's completely in his nature to show genuine respect and give help to anyone and everyone. I love that.

Alright. Now... as to you all saying anything about "being fat" or too old or whatever--I'm seriously not waxing poetic here, but truly... SIZE MATTERS NOT. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you, hmm? By my age? It is simply putting in the practice to learn these kinds of things and YES you can achieve them--if you believe--and if you WORK toward it... little by little, or a lot by a lot.

As to someone saying, ok--that's fine but I'm way too overweight... well... I could tell you the story of this guy Pete (who moved to L.A. recently to do stunt work). Pete was a large man. About a year ago--he was somewhat overweight...

...he can CORK now... and although he was a bit abrasive personality-wise at times... he worked hard to achieve his goals. Clearly: there were goals that took precedent... he was working at many goals at the same time. But--in the end--determination won!

So... whatever your goals--don't sell yourself short. You can't even fail a goal in my opinion. You can only run out of time here on earth + mortality. But... that is all we have here. Finite time. Do whatever you will with it, and even if you have passion for something that seems "not you"... WORK AT IT. Don't quit.

If you run out of time before learning/doing [XXXXXXXX]... well... would you have any more regrets in that you were working toward an objective and didn't get it done in time... vs. never having attempted it at all?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Well... I've not been doing a lot on LED sabers in general lately, too busy with other stuff. But... here's some more tricking.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJiMmcvnJ7c&fmt=18

That's some fun stuff to watch, Novastar, thank you! I sent the link forward to my oldest son, who is very much into martial arts. I'm sure he'll get worked up to try some of those 'tricks'.
    The Saber Builder Dictionary
    Thread Index

Bu'r-akh Llyr : Kerestian Jedi Knight

Just make sure he doesn't try anything without the right training! Although I'm sure b-kicks, hook kicks, and 540s can be attempted without much worry. Just not the gainers, flashkicks and b-twists...