View Poll Results: Would you buy another sabersmith's work? (NOTE: Votes are public)

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd buy it! I respect and support the work of other sabersmiths.

24 53.33%
  • I like it! I might use design aspects of the saber, but I'd still give credit for those aspects.

10 22.22%
  • Heck no! I can make my own sabers, so why waste money buying someone else's work?

2 4.44%
  • I don't have two pennies to rub togetherto buy saber parts or completed sabers!

9 20.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: To build or to buy

Buyer...seller....trader....builder...That would have to be all of the above for me as well....
    Right now my list is pretty varied...Still need a Obi ANH and a Qui-Gon TPM..not going to be able to make either one of those....Going to have to have them built...I build for me.. for sell.. and for trade....Right now my personal saber is a custom MHS that Tim built....a couple of the parts from that saber were designed by Arkai Halon...I'd love to have an original Madcow and I still need the Graflex ESB from Master Yoda.....And I'm on board for the release of the Obi and Dooku from Hasbro....It just depends on what going on at the moment.....

KI-ADI-MUNDI on FX-SABERS.com

i like to build my own stuff. so i would want to use there design but to build it myself. i would like it to maybe "buy" the parts list and the blueprints of the saber for some help getting started.

Default creativity

I think there are great lessons to be learned by constructing ones own hilt. Especially when it comes to voltages and other electronics basics. However, collaborating ideas seems to be very helpful in moving the art forward. Simple things like overlays or crystal chambers came from someones creative imagination. So, it is good to learn from others as well. Without proper tools and equipment, it makes more sense to just buy one made.

there are times that there are things others make that i just love a lot and want. Others i'm just like why are they selling that if they put so much time and effort into it ya know. Then finally i'm like ya know yeah lolness.
    ...YUP!

Red face

when someone builds sabers of their own one knows what kind of work goes into making one;therefore,yes I've bought sabers from another saber builder.

I dont think there is a problem with buying from other saber smiths some people may not have the skill or the equipment to make a saber. I know that there have been some really nice hardware sabers out there but somebody who wants more than a hardware saber or a FX saber and does have a little bit of money to spend should be able to talk over an idea to get it created.

I'm not 100% sure what this topic's purpose is, but... I will say that I think there are three main types of "saber freaks" out there:

A) Someone who builds or buys out of "purpose"--meaning they use the sabers for dueling, have kids that need fun toys, or otherwise finds practical usage from them

B) Someone who builds or buys because they are "collectors"--meaning they love the movie hilts, enjoy replicas, and mostly... these props sit on a wall or desk as prizes or trophies (although these props may be able to take some hits/abuse, etc.)

C) Someone who looks to build, design or buy out of innovation--meaning they look for ways to improve upon existing architecture in LED sabers, and try to achieve something that hasn't been done before (while still making something practical/feasible)

And naturally some people fall under all three, or a mixture of these--some "heavier" on one focal point than another. For example, myself, I am mostly "A"... with a tiny bit of "C"... and almost none of "B".

But, I do appreciate all aspects of the LED saber community (I think I do), and... I've been lucky enough to spend many hours with Yoda--in person--discussing his Graflex chassis and ideas.

Also, for those who don't know, Don is fashioning my first "totally custom" saber, and I'm very much looking forward to this. And with my limited experience, I am able to come at him from a NOMINALLY intelligent angle... whereas 100% totally inexperienced people might request unreasonable things for the saber... or ones that might cost $300 for a single idea alone--and not be prepared for such a price tag.

So, ultimately, I think anyone who wants a CUSTOM saber... should be EDUCATED a bit about sabers prior to being able to order one. And owning an MR *barely* would count in my opinion.

I have no idea if I de-railed this thread, but... I hope it adds something.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

yeah, i dont fall under any of your 3 main types Novastar. i guess the closest would be A, but i dont build to duel, or for my kids, and i really dont have any practical useage for a saber

its like saying there are only 2 types of action figure collectors, those that open and those that dont. i would be considered an opener, but that doesnt explain the boxes of MOC figures i have in my basement

for me, this is really just an extension of my hobbies. i would say i dabel in pretty much all things from the greater Geekdom, i collect comics and action figures, ive played both Magic and Yugioh, ive played both WoW and COH, i really enjoy Star Wars and at the same time I was quick to sit down to watch Star Trek TNG and Voyager. my greatest claim to geek fame is that when they show the Kryptonian language on Smallville, i can actually read what it says

saber building seemed like the proper next step for me and ive enjoyed it very much thus far. i really dont have anything to offer (as you could tell by the negative remarks my saber got), and i dont do it for any real reason, save to secure my place in the Geekdom and continue enjoying all that entails

"my greatest claim to geek fame is that when they show the Kryptonian language on Smallville, i can actually read what it says"

^^ Made my weekend

I chose number one, since I have recently in fact bought a hilt (though it hasn't arrived yet). But I think I only bought it because it is "LED ready," and not complete. In other words, it's a hollow hilt. I'm not sure if I'd buy a finished saber. I don't have the tools or know-how to do machining or lathing, so I suffer from machined-parts envy that MHS parts cannot fully satisfy.
    There's always a bigger fish.