Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Black Patina

yeah, PC will work fine. i had that idea while do-clo and myself were tryin to figure out what to do on plain aluminum boxes for the vader belt. we thought of paint, but when i thought about the first set of boxes i got, and delved more into just what they painted them with, it was a polyester powder coating they used. and its fairly tough finish too. so i'd say, if you can find a place that will do it, its the best way, unless you want to anodize it instead, thats the next best solution, but again, finding a place to do anodizing. im lucky, i know of a couple places in tulsa around 35 miles from me, that does PC and another that does anodizing.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

There is a stain for aluminum it is called Anodizing. Can be done in several colors. It is also very duable since it is soaked into metal.

That's what I'm thinking I would like to do in a copper/bronze color with my ribbed section. Is there a good place around here to do it or is it something that I can do?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Anodizing is more than just a stain... If I remember correctly, its an electrical process that causes a sort of growth on the metal.

EDIT-

BTW, Tim will be offering ano eventually...

There is a powder coating place just down the road from me. They want a $30 minimum charge, so I suppose I could get a few of them done but what for lol. We have powder coated steel poles in our back yard to hold up the clothes line - very durable, you'd have a hard time getting it off. Might be good to give it a sanding afterwards to get the EP 4 Obi style look.

Less talk, more action........

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

yeah, PC will work fine. i had that idea while do-clo and myself were tryin to figure out what to do on plain aluminum boxes for the vader belt. we thought of paint, but when i thought about the first set of boxes i got, and delved more into just what they painted them with, it was a polyester powder coating they used. and its fairly tough finish too. so i'd say, if you can find a place that will do it, its the best way, unless you want to anodize it instead, thats the next best solution, but again, finding a place to do anodizing. im lucky, i know of a couple places in tulsa around 35 miles from me, that does PC and another that does anodizing.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

did you not see i mentioned anodizing y'all?

Not sure about this, it's just an idea I had, is all, but if you wanted to use conventional paints, could you sand the surface down with coarse sandpaper, so's it's rough? Might make the paint stick a bit better. I know you're meant to do the same when you're glueing metal wargames miniatures together: the rough surface provides a purchase for the adhesive.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, Firebird made a nice painting tutorial in misc topics... most people don't know that but yes, it's there.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?

</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Hitogiri View Post
    Hey what are you guys using for black "paint" on your sabers? I want to darken the recessed areas of the ribbed sections Tim sells.

Thanks

Brian
    I'm getting ready to use some Alukot 50 for dark brass finish. It's made by Sur Fin Chemical. They have some Patina's that make dark browns, blacks and an interesting dark grey.

The result is a powdery finish, so you'll need to seal it up with a spray lacquer. I'm also using #7 rubber stoppers to give me grips with which to handle the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
    I'm getting ready to use some Alukot 50 for dark brass finish. It's made by Sur Fin Chemical. They have some Patina's that make dark browns, blacks and an interesting dark grey.

The result is a powdery finish, so you'll need to seal it up with a spray lacquer. I'm also using #7 rubber stoppers to give me grips with which to handle the parts.
    Please do not necropost. This thread is over 9 years old.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com