Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Supplying Arms for a War: Rebel Empire Lightsaber Orders Thread

I see that as being... questionable, in terms of fit. It's tight at best. Might be good to give yourself more like 7 inches, or just direct drive with a momentary switch–a reed swtich of some sort, perhaps?–that can be based entirely on the outside of the handle, freeing more inside space. You'd have to play with it a lot. Small is hard.
    The day may come when the courage of men fails...
    ...But it is not this day! This day – We FIGHT!

yeah I think it'll need more length to the center, even a resistor setup will be tight in that one, I don't see how you could fit 4 batteries in it.

Well 7 inches is definately out of the question really, as its already getting a bit long already, but i 'can' stretch to 6 maybe.. ive got some gear here consisting of pretty much everything ill need for this saber (in the form of 3 different sabers so im very reluctant in having to disassemble them for it) and id rather not go down that path if someone has already done it.

But its meant to be wielded very easily as a one hander (with a bonus/secret blade) so the shorter the better in this case. that and it just looks ****y with too long a middle section, ruining the whole shape of the saber... :S

And Tight is always good Seems like i may have to butcher my sabers in the end to find out. Smeg :S

For batteries, so you could have a smaller hilt still you could try cr123's as they are samll.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    For batteries, so you could have a smaller hilt still you could try cr123's as they are samll.
    I'd rather say go with two sets of AAA's to save space.

Quote Originally Posted by Anavrin View Post
    I'd rather say go with two sets of AAA's to save space.
    getting AAA batteries wont actually save space. if you go with the AAA you would have to have more of them because they dont hold as much power as the AA. there for leading to the requirement of more which then leads to less space available.

best option would be to stick with AA because you would need less of them to power the saber...

good option is the trustfire batteries... but then.. alc knows that already...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

AAa and AAAs have the same voltage (I guess what you mean by "power"?). The AAs just give a longer run time than the AAAs.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

For that short double hilt, three 14500 Li-ion cells in a pyramid configuration, wired in parallel to both LEDs with at least resistors, and using only one shallow latching switch two activate both LEDs....MIGHT work. You'd have 11.1V to play with.

If you didn't mind underdriving the LEDs slightly (I'm assuming you're using LuxIII/P4), you could just use a dual AA cell holder (14500s are a tight fit, but they fit) in the center of the hilt, and use the extra clearance above the holder to mount the switch. With two cells, you'd have 7.2V, split between the two LEDs.

I can fit a USv2, twin 14500 holder, speaker/mount, kill switch, tactile switch inside a 5" section, including the ~1/2" lost by the intruding heatsink post. Tight is tight, but it is possible.

Worst case, go up to a 6" section and it will go from nearly impossible to easy.

***EDIT***

I just put one together and I can confirm to you that two heat sinks, two 14500 cells, a resistor, and a micro latching switch (double post, single throw) DO FIT in a 5" section. So, you're home free.
    Last edited by Goodman; 02-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Lol, I just had the best idea, solar power sheeting near the emmiter so it could run forever. Lol if only this would work.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    AAa and AAAs have the same voltage (I guess what you mean by "power"?). The AAs just give a longer run time than the AAAs.
    *nods* Thanks, J-Lo. My point exactly. And you can /always/ just toss in a new set as needed.