Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice! New to the saber scene.

Default Need Advice! New to the saber scene.

Ok, so I'm not all that new to the saber scene. I have read all the initial forums at least, and have constructed a stunt saber from sinktube materials (using basic ideas from the Big Yellow Box)and then replicated the hilt hopefully for LED electronics. But I am new to the LED saber idea and I just don't know if I will be able to use TCSS blades or electronics with my existing sinktube design. I'm concerned with where to put a blade retention screw and how to hold the Luxeon III/holder/heatsink in place above the switch. I think I have decided to buy the basic Luxeon III kit and just play around with it but I wanted to check and see if there was anything I wasn't thinking of that might make this tough for me.

I'll try and add a couple pics of my sinktube hilt as it is now by tomorrow so you can see my dilemma. The way my emitter is right now I really don't want a random screw up at the top and I don't want to have to alter the way that it fits in my hand. Any advice you could give would be welcome.

what size sinktube are you using? TCSS sells blade holders for both the 1.5 and 1.25 sinktubes, but they are vastly different. once you post a couple pics, we should be able to determine if you can use your current set up without having to change too much

Advice will be easier to give, once we see what you have to work with!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

It's a 1.25 inch tube. Yeah, I know pics will help, I just can't find the cord to connect my camera to my computer. I appreciate your quick responses and will hopefully have pics up soon so you can see what I'm working with.

Well, if it's based on a 1.25" tube, then depending on what the internals are like right now, adding an led blade set-up should be fairly easy, as TCSS sells a blade holder specifically designed for those tubes, as long as it's not a commercial grade one.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

yeah, i not to long ago built a 1.25 sinktube saber. the bladeholder actually fits inside the tube itself, so as long as you got a few inches worth of room at the top, the you should be good

Cool, thanks guys. I'll go ahead and give that a try. I think I'll still post pics tomorrow though so you can see what I've got so far. (Plus I kinda want some feedback on my saber design.)

Alright, here are some pics. The first two are my empty hilt that I hope to put electronics in, and the third is my identical stunt saber. The hilt is just over 11.5 inches long and is made up of a 1.25 inch sink pipe with pieces of 1.5 inch sink pipe stacked on top for a pommel, emitter and switch area. Do you think my switch would be able to go where it is now or would I have to move it down?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think it would work in that spot just fine.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Ok good. I guess my only other question then is how can I secure the sink tube blade holder with screws without messing with the existing design? I'd really prefer to keep the emitter as plain as possible.